Random crashes on OTT M8 Android box
Hi,

I've been having seemingly random crashes on an Android M8 box using its latest version of Kodi (16.1).

The crashes switch to a black screen and reset the box after approximately 30 seconds.

The crashes seem to manifest randomly - when watching media, when browsing the GUI or when Kodi is left inactive.

I am using the Aeon Nox skin, but have had the same crashes using Confluence. I have tried tweaking cache settings, clearing the Android cache, trying an older version of Kodi via a downgrade and clearing out any bloatware apps - all without luck.

The only addon that I have installed is iPlayerWWW.

I have pasted a debug log below, which I'm under qualified to notice anything wrong with. Could someone take a look to see if they can spot anything?

http://pastebin.com/8EerwCq8

Many thanks!
I have an mxq and used to have similar problems. This is going to sound silly, but try it for me.

Turn the box upside down and put a desk or floor fan on it. If it runs longer or doesn't crash at all... it's heat.

I've posted about this before because it was a fix for me and I spent DAYS searching for a resolution with little luck. If it works for you, do a search for "mxq freezes" and find my lengthy post about what I did to figure it out. It's a good read to help understand these small and relatively cheap boxes. Although it's for an MXQ, the m8 looks like a similar box.
Many thanks for your reply. I did actually suspect that the box was overheating. It's a box that's set up in our holiday home in Portugal which is very hot at the moment, and it's sat on top of a router (which itself runs hot).

As I couldn't find a solution I resorted to resetting the box to factory settings and reinstalled Kodi from scratch. This seems to have steadied things somewhat, and although I still have some Kodi freezing and performance issues I rarely have the panic- type reboot crashes.

I'll try some makeshift cooling methods as you suggested. If I draw a blank then it's not a massive issue. I understand that these boxes aren't "officially" supported so I guess I just need to make do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random crashes on OTT M8 Android box0