Minix U1 vs Wetek Core
Looking at buying one of these, based on the couple of reviews here the Core was overall better, however, I won't *need* netflix HD as I have a firetv stick for that, so does that change anything at all or is the Wetek still better?
The question is not what is better but what Video and Audio do you need decoding specifically ?

WiFi or Ethernet ?

If video is 10bit HEVC for 1080/2160p on a 4K TV then MINIX U1.
A lot of people like the MINIX NEO A2 Lite Air Mouse Remote as well for the Keyboard function.

The Core is a 8bit HEVC machine, but counters with PCM Multichannel Audio when using Android WeTek Media Player and Dual Boot Android - OE/LE
Take a look at what extra custom Android Apps they are both packing as well.
I know CT from WeTek has done a lot of work in this area lately, especially with the very nice WeTek Launcher.

Wonder if OP meant U1 vs. Hub (not Core) as that's more of an Apples-to-Apples comparison.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Hi!

Would like a bit help here too, I'm new to all of these, so please be useful Nod

So let me tell you, the story

I have a NAS, connected directly to the TV, and the Kodi app on the TV is really slow. So the last two days I was looking around what to get, that It would fill more snappier.
My first thought was to build a HTPC at the end of the year with either intel (kaby lake) or AMD (Zen), because they will natively support 10bit and h.265 without a graphics card.
But now I discovered these TV boxes.Big Grin

the only thing that I want is HDMI 2.0 support.
I will be only using the HTPC or android TV Box for streaming movies from my NAS, to the "device" with KODI on it. Don't need more, but It has to do the job well.

So my question is HTPC or the TV Box?

If some of the newer android TV Boxes, are coming out at the end of the year, or in the first quarter of next year I can wait, there is no rush. I can live with the slow TV Kodi appNo

my budged for the android TV Box is around 150$
Limitations of the U1

No 10bit h264 @ 1080p however 10bit h.265 @ 1080p will be fine IIRC. If you want 10bit stick to HEVC.

No 4K VP9 or HDR, hardly used right now and you need a 4K HRD TV.

For 98% content playback stick to s905, i would suggest picking between the U1 and WeTek Hub.

Unlikely you will see updated hardware with s912 or s905x blessed by the Kodi team since the Wetek just launched a few boxes.

Im quite happy with my s905 rev C Android box running LE, I dont care for 4K VP9 since i don't even have a 4K TV and don't watch Anime on Kodi or 10bit then again if i ever wanted to I'd just get HEVC versoon.
Quote:Unlikely you will see updated hardware with s912 or s905x blessed by the Kodi team since the Wetek just launched a few boxes.

Just to be clear, there really isn't any device that is "blessed" by Team Kodi. Minix and WeTek are sponsors because they gave money to the XBMC/Kodi Foundation to show their support. A hardware review was not required for this :)
(2016-08-17, 01:22)jebise Wrote: Unlikely you will see updated hardware with s912 or s905x blessed by the Kodi team since the Wetek just launched a few boxes.
So by that assumption I must have "blessed" :

- MINIX
- ODROID
- Amazon FireTV's
- WeTek Hub and Core
- Intel Chromebox and other Intel Hardware, inc. Apple
- RPI's
- nVIDIA Shield

What we don't support is cheap as chips Hardware that comes pre-packaged with Piracy Apps and banned Kodi Addons, devices that happen to have NO support.
If that happens to include 99% of the buggy S905X or S912 Android Boxes on sale then all I can say is these devices will never be recommended.

Disagree, well then users need to read Team Kodi's:

Kodi's Official Forum Piracy Policy

and also:

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi

(2016-08-17, 01:22)jebise Wrote: No 10bit h264 @ 1080p

Just for the record, no box known to me support hi10p in hardware, and I assume no box will ever do as it's a dead format, beside for animé encoders, apparently...
(2016-08-17, 06:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 01:22)jebise Wrote: Unlikely you will see updated hardware with s912 or s905x blessed by the Kodi team since the Wetek just launched a few boxes.
So by that assumption I must have "blessed" :

- MINIX
- ODROID
- Amazon FireTV's
- WeTek Hub and Core
- Intel Chromebox and other Intel Hardware, inc. Apple
- RPI's
- nVIDIA Shield

What we don't support is cheap as chips Hardware that comes pre-packaged with Piracy Apps and banned Kodi Addons, devices that happen to have NO support.
If that happens to include 99% of the buggy S905X or S912 Android Boxes on sale then all I can say is these devices will never be recommended.

Disagree, well then users need to read Team Kodi's:

Kodi's Official Forum Piracy Policy

and also:

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi

I think Ned got the idea of what i meant by "blessed", i wasn't trying to be aggressive against the devs for not supporting the cheap boxes. i was just saying unlikely we would see a new box with the new processors anytime soon that the Kodi team would stand behind.

Cheap chinise boxes are another topic which can stay in the AML thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix U1 vs Wetek Core0