ARC HDMI doesn't seem to pass 5.1
I have an Intel NUC6i3SYH and a Samsung KS8000 TV. I'm trying to connect the NUC via HDMI to the TV and then TV to receiver using ARC to pass sound to my receiver. However, in my TV options it doesn't allow me to bitstream to the receiver using any of the true 5.1 options (DTS/DD). It only let's me pass DTS6:NEO. When I look at configuring the Windows sound, it only recognizes it as stereo instead of 5.1/7.1, etc.

I don't have this issue with the XBoxOne or CableBox connected via ARC.

Also, connecting the NUC directly to the receiver works fine.

Any suggestions on how to set this up properly?
The ARC HDMI (say it is HDMI 1) port from the TV should be connected to the reciever output. The NCU should be connected to HDMI 2 on the TV which should then pass audio to the receiver over ARC. On my LG I have to go in sound settings and set audio output from PCM to auto.
Why not go the normal route. NUC-->AVR-->TV
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-08-17, 00:15)jebise Wrote: The ARC HDMI (say it is HDMI 1) port from the TV should be connected to the reciever output. The NCU should be connected to HDMI 2 on the TV which should then pass audio to the receiver over ARC. On my LG I have to go in sound settings and set audio output from PCM to auto.

I have all that hooked up, but only stereo is being passed for the NUC. All other devices seem to pass correctly (cable box, XboxOne).
force 5.1 in the windows sound settings.
(2016-08-17, 00:27)nickr Wrote: Why not go the normal route. NUC-->AVR-->TV

My TV, unfortunately, isn't great about using a single source input from the receiver. It keeps getting confused and trying to re-setup the source when I change inputs on the receiver. So when I switch from cablebox to HTPC, the TV thinks the source input changed and asks me to set it up again. I'm trying to see if I can work around this by plugging everything into the TV inputs and using ARC to pass the sound to my receiver.

I can get the cablebox and xboxone to pass 5.1 properly, but the HTPC doesn't seem to do it.
What are your kodi audio settings (screenshots please).

Also debug log (wiki) when playing some 5.1.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Another point: some tvs will only pass ac3, but not dts. Perhaps your other devices are sending ac3, and you are using dts? Just a guess there.
(2016-08-18, 03:35)nickr Wrote: Another point: some tvs will only pass ac3, but not dts. Perhaps your other devices are sending ac3, and you are using dts? Just a guess there.

It should be passing DTS. My Xboxone passes it just fine. I set bitstream on the xboxone to DTS, then set bitstream on my TV to DTS and the receiver properly displays that it's playing DTS. Same for my cablebox except it's DD instead of DTS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ARC HDMI doesn't seem to pass 5.10