Win 20 minute load and freezing...
in my defense i didn't know about the "banned" repos and add-ons until today...i never really looked into Kodi the company before this issue
(2016-08-17, 19:54)DarrenHill Wrote: On Windows, in Windows Explorer, type %APPDATA% in the address bar and then press enter. Go into the Roaming folder, and in that folder there should be a .kodi folder (note it's by default a hidden folder, so you may need to enable viewing files and folders to see it).

That is the folder Kodi uses to store all its configuration etc. Just rename that to something else without Kodi running, and then next time you start Kodi it will be recreated afresh and you will have a virgin clean install.

ok so in the roaming folder there is no ".kodi' folder. I've never done this step before when re-installing but i still get freezes.
Turn on viewing hidden files and folders in explorer. It is in there, but it's a hidden folder by default (as I said before).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
i clicked on "view" and checked the "hidden files" box and still no .kodi ...is there another way to view hidden files?
No. If it's checked then you should see it.

The only time it's not there is if you have done a portable install, in which case it will be in whichever folder you installed Kodi into.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-08-17, 19:54)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 19:24)Dangelus Wrote: If I were you I would cut your losses and just reinstall following the instructions in post #3.

You must have some sort of conflict causing issues, possibly an add-on you have installed. If you get the same issue with a clean install you can rule out a direct Kodi issue and it is another conflict on your system.
Am I missing something here?
Deleting the userdata folder (as described in post #3 / the wiki link) leaves the addons folder in place, no?

No you are correct, it is the parent folder .kodi (as Darren has corrected for me) that requires deletion / renaming. I blame temporary insanity Smile
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
so when i re-install, if i run into the same problem it's an issue with my computer and not the program? Have people using windows 10 been having issues?
Kodi runs quite happily (albeit slowly, but that's due to the machine) on my Win10 netbook.

The .kodi folder should be created when you first run the program, as it's where it stores everything (by default the program itself is installed in c:\program files (x86)\kodi , which is only writable with admin privs). So if something is stopping the .kodi folder being created, then it's never going to work and would be something else on your computer or its set-up (anti-virus, group policy, something like that).

If you have another machine available that you can install onto, then you could create a portable install and try that.

Kodi Blog Posts
Isn't the folder 'kodi' rather than '.kodi' in windows?
It's so long since I've used anything but portable builds I might well be wrong.
Thanks, you are correct. And it's just %appdata%/Kodi as appdata already includes the roaming folder.

I'm too used to doing this on my Pi as well, I don't run Kodi under windows very often.

@Berna1678 - just try %appdata% in Windows explorer and see if there is a Kodi folder in there.

Kodi Blog Posts
I'm so used to ELECs I read it a few times before a bell went off. And even then I wasn't anywhere near sure.
so I just re-installed it again, but it's still freezing when I click on programs or file manager...
And it's still taking a very long time to load
Debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickr http://pastebin.com/fQWcqN7M if this isn't what you need let me know. thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
20 minute load and freezing...0