Generic file system caching framework?
Lightbulb 
Could this or something like this be used for for XBMC and its audio/video players?
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-.../21/271752

Even for cross-port (Xbox, Linux, and Windows versions, etc.)?
Quote:(1) Caches can be added / removed at any time, even whilst in use; (2) Adds a facility by which tags can be used to refer to caches, even if they're not mounted yet; (3) More than one cache can be used at once. Caches can be selected explicitly by use of tags; (4) The netfs is provided with an interface that allows either party to withdraw caching facilities from a file (required for (1)); (5) A netfs may annotate cache objects that belongs to it; (6) Cache objects can be pinned and reservations made; (7) The interface to the netfs returns as few errors as possible, preferring rather to let the netfs remain oblivious.
Patch to to make NFS utilize this generic caching facility as an example:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-.../21/272005
looks to be a bit over the top. we already got our own basic cache mechanisms
I was mostly thinking of the DVDPlayer which I do not think have any caching/buffering capabilities today(?)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
this is mainly filesystem list of files-cache, not related to caching files in memory.

there has already been done some work on caching for dvdp in the linux branch, i suspect vulkanr will get around to adding another caching strategy (current its only cache-to-a-local-file) eventually
So the above generic filesystem caching facility is only for file systems such as samba, xbmsp, and UPnP, etc. then?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
yes, basically, it's

1) cache of the directory contents (filenames, filesizes, ++)
2) a writeback cache if you write files to the network drive (delays writing and then does it in larger chunks to increase performance)
oh, ok. Anyway to use this concept then to speed up directory contents listings for UPnP and XBMSP?
...I think SMB/SAMBA is already fast (at least when compared to UPnP and XBMSP listings) Huh
it is used for upnp. if the request takes more than 1 second it's cached i think. same should go to xbmsp

its done for ANY listing that took > 1 sec
Great, thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Generic file system caching framework?0