Req Elder people mode
Hi,

Elder people aren't goot at complex stuff.
But nowdays more and more TV will get set-top box with Kodi installed.
And now some problems begin, they click somewhere and get into some menu, they just don't figure out how to go back.

Here is feature idea what solves this.
Lock Kodi to TV screen, don't allow to go other screen or settings, just only TV watching options.
For example can add small unlock button, for example what must be hold down for some sec to unlock or clicked 5 times, ....

Currently i can make TV as startup screen, but i can't keep goint out of it.

What you think or i am the only one who have met such people ?

Thanks,
Are elder people not allowed to watch movies?

Perhaps their attention span is too short.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think what you're looking for is a "kiosk mode", which is something some of the additional skin/GUI options provide. It's been a while since I've looked to see what skins support this, but maybe someone will point some out for us.
(2016-08-26, 07:52)nickr Wrote: Are elder people not allowed to watch movies?

Perhaps their attention span is too short.

There are older people and there are older people.

Yes we all like to watch Movies, but some of us should not be let anywhere near a box with an easy to change build on it. Press this don't know what I am doing press this, that............... all goes to S%it.

Need help call ivx675 again and again, ivx675 pulling their hair out posts on here for help Huh

So I agree his request is very valid, as there are a lot of us old people out here and the number is growing every year.

My thoughts are box boots straight into Kodi option and a completely locked down Kodi option, not sure if this is possible currently.

I know you can boot box straight into Kodi and use the Master Code to block some actions, issue is you don't need to be a hacker to get around these options, an old person like my sister will get round them in less than a minute, then she calls me.
I don't doubt that kiosk mode is useful, I just think the idea of restricting the user to just tv is a nonsense.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
How it's nonsense ?
Probably you havent met average 60+ ages pople. When they get one windows out of TV for example, they are gluless. I may show ten of times how to get back, but that is like talking to wall.
In may case they watch TV only, nothing more.
I'm not talking about pin lock, just ´keep them in TV area, not getting out of it accidentialy.

In physical TV they get around, but now i put TVHeadend(because lack of areal cable in these rooms) and android Kodi boxes to TV.
its called kiosk mode. if that is something you want to do you can run a customized skin like aeon mq7 and remove all of the unwanted sections and put it in kiosk mode.
In Kodi 17 i found i can do half what i wanted, i can turn off menu items(Movies,Pictures, ....), will see how it works out ...
(2016-08-26, 09:00)nickr Wrote: I don't doubt that kiosk mode is useful, I just think the idea of restricting the user to just tv is a nonsense.

I haven't checked out kiosk mode may take a look, I reread OP and agree with you on TV only comment.

Depending on skin all main menu options other than TV could be disabled, may also be an option in the addon being used to boot to it straight away.

I see ivy675 responded, I do have some sympathy with their comment, it's why I don't get involved with helping anyone with Kodi except family, you can swear at them.

One guy I heard about switched HDMI channels didn't realise what they had done and then did not know how to get back to their normal HDMI channel, then called for help.

Sounds like the solution is a one channel TV and a one screen option TV box hahaha

ps I should add that this issue is not restricted to the domain of old people or females (that last word should get me a few replies)
(2016-08-26, 10:19)ivx675 Wrote: In Kodi 17 i found i can do half what i wanted, i can turn off menu items(Movies,Pictures, ....), will see how it works out ...

That's not new Wink You were always able to hide items in the main menu. For a few friends of mine I have hidden everything except for movies and tv. Shortcuts to Quasar and Retrospect on the main menu.. et voila. They haven't been able to break anything.

I'm more worried that the kids will press too many buttons in a short period of time and they crash the Pi (it's an old one, so not the quickest one). They would need to reboot the Pi, probably receive a new ip-adress which will make sure that Kodi Remote won't work without setting up a new host.Rolleyes
(2016-08-26, 11:14)Miss_80 Wrote:
(2016-08-26, 10:19)ivx675 Wrote: In Kodi 17 i found i can do half what i wanted, i can turn off menu items(Movies,Pictures, ....), will see how it works out ...

That's not new Wink You were always able to hide items in the main menu. For a few friends of mine I have hidden everything except for movies and tv. Shortcuts to Quasar and Retrospect on the main menu.. et voila. They haven't been able to break anything.

I'm more worried that the kids will press too many buttons in a short period of time and they crash the Pi (it's an old one, so not the quickest one). They would need to reboot the Pi, probably receive a new ip-adress which will make sure that Kodi Remote won't work without setting up a new host.Rolleyes

Sounds like a good solution. I may have Movies, TV and TV Shows, is your TV option under Movies.

If you disable System on the top menu, how due you get into System when you need to change anything.

Have you heard the theory that us old people turn back into kids again as we get even older Smile
(2016-08-26, 11:26)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-08-26, 11:14)Miss_80 Wrote:

Sounds like a good solution. I may have Movies, TV and TV Shows, is your TV option under Movies.

I don't use Live TV. I have my content on a NAS so that will show up under Movies and TVShows. All content that I add to my library within Quasar, does the same. Addons for watching shows like netflix, ABC Family, VevoTV etc are all accessible via the shortcuts. Let me see if I can create a printscreen of what I mean.

[/quote]
If you disable System on the top menu, how due you get into System when you need to change anything.
[/quote]
Good point. I think that's the only one I do not hide (but it's on the far right). Although it should be possible to create a shortcut for your keyboard of remote

[/quote]
Have you heard the theory that us old people turn back into kids again as we get even older Smile
[/quote]
Good to know.... no use of Kodi without parental supervision Wink
(2016-08-26, 11:14)Miss_80 Wrote: I'm more worried that the kids will press too many buttons in a short period of time and they crash the Pi (it's an old one, so not the quickest one). They would need to reboot the Pi, probably receive a new ip-adress which will make sure that Kodi Remote won't work without setting up a new host.Rolleyes
First One thing I do with any new gadget crossing my threshold is to crank up the router webpage, head for DHCP settings and set a static address for it. I think that's possible on most if not all routers (mine's nothing fancy, just what the ISP gave me 5+ years ago) and it takes seconds.
I prefer that to doing it on a machine, 'cos it's a one-time thing - if I put a new sd card in a pi or re-install windows the IP stays the same. So reboot = same IP and everything works - plus I can use IPs rather than hostnames (which again can change) to access stuff.

Edit: maybe not the first thing, that would be a bit obsessive. First thing is usually to open the box and go 'Oooooh!', then...
In my own home, everything has a fixed IP address based on Mac address Big Grin. Unfortunately my friend had a router which is from the provider and I havent had time to figure out how to establish that on her Router. Same goes for my boyfriend. He has a very very old machine and won't let me touch it. Oh well.... every time he shuts down his Mac he lost his ip adress and he needs to change the host on his phone.. Rolleyes.
I missed the bit about friends' homes. Blush
These old eyes of mine...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Elder people mode0