Req Elder people mode
(2016-09-04, 06:49)Ned Scott Wrote: That's really rare, though.
It is, but the changeover for me was a couple of years ago, so fairly recent. I have 13 devices on my LAN (16 port smart switch ethernet connections), so the last thing I want to do is rebuild those. The phone is the only device that gets a DHCP address (not fixed).
Quote:Also, never use the router your ISP gives you. Get a plain modem or just hook into their router with your own. It will save you a ton of grief. A good router should last at least five years, and a good replacement should be able to use the same LAN IP range.
Not true. The router that came in my DSL modem included a full featured router. As for the cable modem, I looked up the model number to see what it had for a router, and it too was full featured. But, the a-holes at Charter do not let their customers have access to the router (even with a business account) and don't even tell you until your get the modem. I had to quickly borrow a router until I got one ordered. They fear that customers will get into the section for setting the modem's cable connection setup and screw it up. Yet every other ISP will allow you into theirs and even allow you to buy your own modem and use it (even posting a list on line of compatible modems).
Quote:For the last six years my laptop has had the same LAN IP. That never changes between reboots or downtime or anything. Static LAN IPs is probably the best advice one can get for a media setup, IMO.
Well, my gear has had the same IPs as well. Big Grin Static IPs are a must period.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Elder people mode0