Req Split library and player
Hi all,
sorry if this request already exists, I was not able to find it (tried to search several keywords but nothing similar found).

It would be great if Kodi could work in just "library" mode and "player" mode (something like backend and frontend). My motivation is this - I have more Kodi instances at home and I tried to share metadata of movies etc. among them. Using MySQL sucks, I cannot control all the instances so some major update of Kodi can easily happen. I tried Emby as well as Plex but I like the Kodi way (custom scrapers, movie sets etc.) much more so currently I use one Kodi instance as a "master" and share its library via UPnP. This works fine however it would be great if the other instances could use the "master" data as their primary source (instead of the local database which is empty in my case, of course). This would be perfect because one could see all the movies directly on the home screen (and not underneath some menu) but more importantly Kore/Yatse would see the movies of all the instances as well.

I hope that it makes sense and that more people would benefit from it, thanks.
PS: If there is a way to "vote" (I mean donate Smile for this feature, please, let me know. Thank you!
No need for the request as that's exactly the direction we want to take, however we do not have enough devs with the necessary skills, and those devs we do have with the necessay skills do not have the free time to work on this for the moment.

In the meantime I think there are skins available which will allow you to hide local sources and will soley use UPnP to display media items.
Great to hear, thanks a lot for your reply! Since you plan to do it, I just donated $50, hope it helps!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Split library and player0