v16 Unable to access restricted network folders
Kodi 16.1 installed on Windows 7 box (2GB ram).

Windows Server 2008 R2 hosts all media.
- Win7/Kodi box is added as a user to server.

Server has a Movies folder that is shared on the network, that all users can view.
The movies folder has sub folders for genre.

Currently everything works find, the Win7/Kodi box can browse and play movies in all the sub folders, expect 2 folders, Horror and Rating, as they are restricted.

From a server point of view everyone has read access to all folders except 2.
The 2 folders have everyone role removed and a special restrictedfolder group added.

Only certain user accounts are members of the restrictedfolder group.
When I attempt to access the restricted folder from the Win7/Kodi box, it displays a username password prompt.
However, no matter what account I enter, it will not open the folder. Even tried server administrated account.
Just returns back to the ask for username password screen.

I have 3 other XBMC classic* XBOX connected to the network with the same user account configurations.
*Yes Classic XBOX, not 360 or One.

When I browse to restricted folder, enter the username password of a restricted folder user from the XBOX's I can connect to the restricted folders.

Anyone know why it doesn't work from Win7/Kodi box?
I don't know, but I have in the past "fiddled with" passwords when I've been refused access. I did at one time create a passwords.xml file for kodi (I've now enable guest access, so I don't use passwords). I still have a backup of it. The form of the passwords is smb://username:password@ip address. I can't remember now whether I had to enter //PC name/username or some other variation when I was just inputting passwords but I do recall that the server wanted to know where that user was or it couldn't recognise it. (I had the issue when I had the same username on different computers, but windows still seemed not to recognise a user even if it wasn't getting confused over whether it was username on computer A or (same) username on computer B.

I hope this isn't too confusing, and sorry to be vague but I'm not using it at the moment and don't have any stored credentials to tell you what windows insisted on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to access restricted network folders0