Playing DVD on Kodi on Linux
I posted this in video support and got no response.
Surely someone has managed to play DVDs on linux?

So I am running kodi on Linux

I used to be able to watch DVDs on Linux, but for some reason I couldn't when we tried recently.

I out in the DVD and the disc menu item appears but pressing it does nothing.

If I go to videos and hit browse then the DVD name shows up there but pressing it takes me to the root directory and the DVD does not show in /media or /mnt

How can I get my DVDs to play?

Sent from my ONE A2003
This could well be a neglected area I suppose. Not many media machines these days have optical drives. Hard drive space is cheap so ripping is attractive, and makes the movie available to every kodi instance in the house.

Anyway I know iso still works, could possibly try a DVD tomorrow on my laptop.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Is it a commercial DVD? If so do you have libdvdcss installed - you'll need that for Kodi to be able to decrypt the disc.

Are you running Kodi in standalone mode i.e. outside a desktop environment? If so is the user you're running Kodi as a member of the storage, disc and cdrom groups?

What version of Kodi are you running and on what distro?

Do you have debug log?
(2016-08-28, 14:57)dcrdev Wrote: Is it a commercial DVD? If so do you have libdvdcss installed - you'll need that for Kodi to be able to decrypt the disc.

Are you running Kodi in standalone mode i.e. outside a desktop environment? If so is the user you're running Kodi as a member of the storage, disc and cdrom groups?

What version of Kodi are you running and on what distro?

Do you have debug log?
Yes it is commercial, but I do have the libdvdcss installed.

I will try looking at those user groups when I get home.

I think they should all be fine.

I will also post a debug log too.

A lot of people suggest ripping and playing but that is not a particularly practical solution.

If someone comes over with a DVD I don't want to spend 3 hours ripping it before being able to watch it only to delete it afterwards.

Sent from my ONE A2003
Also one thing to check is if it's being mounted by something else that could be interfering with Kodi.

Insert the DVD, don't do anything in Kodi and then check the output of 'lsblk' to see if there is a mount point there; there shouldn't be as optical discs shouldn't be mounted in order for Kodi to play them.
3 hours ripping? About 10 minutes!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-08-28, 22:26)nickr Wrote: 3 hours ripping? About 10 minutes!
Really? I guess if you want a shitty quality large file size avi.

Besides it requires other software outside of kodi.

It is also just a massive faf rather than just putting in the DVD and pressing play.

Sent from my ONE A2003
I was contemplating makemkv which produces same quality.
(2016-08-28, 15:32)dcrdev Wrote: Also one thing to check is if it's being mounted by something else that could be interfering with Kodi.

Insert the DVD, don't do anything in Kodi and then check the output of 'lsblk' to see if there is a mount point there; there shouldn't be as optical discs shouldn't be mounted in order for Kodi to play them.

Sorry reviving an old problem.

I still haven't fixed this.

I have checked all the above, but still no luck. When i click "Disc" nothing happens.

Here is the debug log:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/23375200/

I tried pressing the "disc" option 4 times before playing a video off the hard drive.

The log seems to have no record of the dvd even attempting to be played.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing DVD on Kodi on Linux0