v17 How to Automate 3D
Question 
Kodi works great with my 3D TV, but I have to make several settings changes before it's optimal. I'm looking for a way to script these changes upon playback of a 3D movie and then revert them upon stopping.

Sony TV: SBS (or OU) enabled in the TV. I'm seeing people do this one here.

Kodi: Sync Refresh Rate to Frame Rate - Disabled

Kodi: Change resolution to 1080p (down from 2160p)

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi, you didnt mention what type of 3D movies you are trying to play, this is important as it determines which is the best way to do this. Are you playing SBS/HSBS mkv files or Full frame packed 3D MVC mkv files.

If you are sure its easy to check. If you play a file and they picture is either split in half vertically or horizonally then these are SBS/HSBS files.

hit me back.
All of the files H-SBS
"Sony TV: SBS (or OU) enabled in the TV. I'm seeing people do this one here."
Never tested a Sony but smart Samsungs automatically enable 3D mode to SBS or TAB and switch back when finished.
Older models require you to manually select a mode from the TV.
On the older models, I only know of one script to auto change the TV mode for you and it doesn't apply to Sony.
Either continue to switch manually, find out the problem preventing your panel from auto switching, or as you have sort of done, request a script/add-on to automate the task for your make and model. I'm not sure what your link has to do with any of this but perhaps ask that author if it is what you seek and how to use it.

"Kodi: Sync Refresh Rate to Frame Rate - Disabled"
Why would you want to Disable refresh rate?
Your GUI and desktop should run at 60Hz and your title should change to match that material for proper playback.
Most titles are filmed at 23.976 so your refresh rate to match should change in your TV to 24Hz for perfect playback.

"Kodi: Change resolution to 1080p (down from 2160p)"
Again, why would you want to lower the resolution when your panel will upscale to 2160?
Isn't that the point of a 4k TV?
During playback of a 1080 3D SBS/TAB your panel should report 2160 at 24Hz.

Afaik, trying to achieve anything different is to side step other problems or you're just going about things the wrong way.
Lastly, double check you are ripping your title correctly.
Perhaps for some reason your panel doesn't recognize it's a 3DSBS or your panel is older and never will.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2016-09-02, 00:39)brazen1 Wrote: Either continue to switch manually, find out the problem preventing your panel from auto switching, or as you have sort of done, request a script/add-on to automate the task for your make and model. I'm not sure what your link has to do with any of this but perhaps ask that author if it is what you seek and how to use it.
That's the purpose of my question on this forum. I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this.

(2016-09-02, 00:39)brazen1 Wrote: Why would you want to Disable refresh rate?
There is less flicker with active 3D at 60Hz than there is at 24Hz. It just looks better.

(2016-09-02, 00:39)brazen1 Wrote: Again, why would you want to lower the resolution when your panel will upscale to 2160?
All Sony 3D TVs only allow 3D mode in 1080p. They can't do 4K 3D.

(2016-09-02, 00:39)brazen1 Wrote: Afaik, trying to achieve anything different is to side step other problems or you're just going about things the wrong way.
Please enlighten me. How can I achieve this goal your way?
That's the purpose of my question on this forum. I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this.
This is a general windows forum. Try the video add-ons forum and maybe someone can help you create an add-on or point you in the right direction.

There is less flicker with active 3D at 60Hz than there is at 24Hz. It just looks better.
I get no flicker using active 3D with the manufactures matching glasses running at matched refresh rate.
I have ripped about 20 titles at 60Hz that used to look decent on my 1080 matching that refresh rate.
Those same titles look terrible at 60Hz at 2160 so I've been discarding them and replacing with 24's.
When playing a 24Hz title at 60Hz you will probably notice uncontrollable judder, at least I do.
But flicker from matched 24 Hz and not unmatched at 60Hz?
Something is wrong with your hardware/software imo.

All Sony 3D TVs only allow 3D mode in 1080p. They can't do 4K 3D.
That's too bad.
I thought anything could upscale a SBS or TAB.
Evidently not.
I do know 3D frame packed MVC does not upscale and your panel should report back 1080 24Hz.
What it should do though is render 1080 to each eye which in appearance is 4k.
That's why you bought Active vs Passive.
Big step up from 540 in the past and that didn't look bad.

Please enlighten me. How can I achieve this goal your way?
I would think all your answers can be found in my guide or at least get you started.
I can't test every panel.
I know that Samsungs using KODI with or without external players work perfectly as do the TV's internal player with no flickers or any other quirks.
Good luck to you.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Automate 3D0