problem with xbmc - only background sound with AC3 5.1 movies
Sad 
hey guys.
i'm using xbmc under kubuntu (feisty fawn) and discovered that when i play a movie that has an AC3/5,1 support i can only hear the background sounds (i'm using an HP pavilion laptop that has a standard soundcard and my stereo receives it's signal from the laptop's earphone jack).
when i try and press "m" to go into the options menu while playing a movie i can see that under the sound options there is only "unknown AC3 5.1 (1/1) " and i cannot change that..
as i understand, the xbmc runs the movies using mplayer's engine (i might be wrong here) - but when i try and run the exact same movie without xbmc, using mplayer, the sound seem to work fine and i can hear everything - not just the background..

any way out of this? (i don't want to quit xbmc every time i need to run a movie that supports 5.1.. )

thanks!
in the readme. downmixing.
had a similar problem until i found the sample .asoundrc in the build folder Wink
hey guys - thanks for replying so quickly!
i read the downmixing part in the readme file and copied & renamed the demo file into my home directory.
i still have a problem though: (newbie...)
the .asoundrc file has the volume parameters for each and every speaker, so i could just set all the speakers to 1.0 - but then i'd still hear the background alone when i try and run a 5.1 movie. alternatively, i could make only the left & right speakers loud, and set all the others to 0.0 - but then i'd hear nothing at all while playing this kind of movies..
is there a way of configuring the .asoundrc file so that all the sound channels would be mashed into the left and right speakers?.. (downmixing...)

thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problem with xbmc - only background sound with AC3 5.1 movies0