Android - Passthrough Changes with v17

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
wrxtasy Offline
Moderator²
(2017-05-23 02:51)exchequer Wrote:  I just purchased a Sony CT-790 soundbar to accompany my X830 android tv. Quickly enabled DTS etc from the settings menu. All went fine until I played a movie, as it turns out there was no image and no sound. When I disabled passthrough both the image and sound resumed. After a bit of Googling I ended up here.

If I understand it correctly the issue did not exist on Android 5.x with Kodi 16? I am really not looking forward to buying a shield just for sound compatibility (yet ANOTHER remote). I really love that the TV just has Kodi integrated, that was the main selling point for me. Does it help if I uninstall 17.1 and go back to 16.1 via sideloading?

From Post #1:

Vendor firmware bugs
- Some Android TVs only support 384 kb/s AC3 and error out on 640 kb/s

For semi broken firmware, e.g. Android Sony TV, Philips TV, some others with AC3 640 issues:
PCM speakers: 2.0
Enable AC3
Enable AC3-Transcoding
and (!) Enable Sync Playback to Display. This is need to force transcoding even of native AC3 Input as that might be 640 kbit/s and the FW cannot use it.

You may need a shitty or notsoshitty 17.1 build from:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/
(This post was last modified: 2017-05-23 04:38 by wrxtasy.)
find quote
fritsch Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
Hint:

[Image: liftpress-animation-200.gif]

Live is too short for shitty 40 dollar hardware.

"Your most vocal users are not reflective of your userbase" J.M.
"Of course, they [XP Users and people with outdated hardware] need to tell the world about the kind of hero they are, and block innovation for everyone else because their decades old OS / hardware needs to work =p" nevcairiel (ffmpeg)
No Debug Log no issue.
find quote
exchequer Offline
(2017-05-23 04:32)wrxtasy Wrote:  
(2017-05-23 02:51)exchequer Wrote:  I just purchased a Sony CT-790 soundbar to accompany my X830 android tv. Quickly enabled DTS etc from the settings menu. All went fine until I played a movie, as it turns out there was no image and no sound. When I disabled passthrough both the image and sound resumed. After a bit of Googling I ended up here.

If I understand it correctly the issue did not exist on Android 5.x with Kodi 16? I am really not looking forward to buying a shield just for sound compatibility (yet ANOTHER remote). I really love that the TV just has Kodi integrated, that was the main selling point for me. Does it help if I uninstall 17.1 and go back to 16.1 via sideloading?

From Post #1:

Vendor firmware bugs
- Some Android TVs only support 384 kb/s AC3 and error out on 640 kb/s

For semi broken firmware, e.g. Android Sony TV, Philips TV, some others with AC3 640 issues:
PCM speakers: 2.0
Enable AC3
Enable AC3-Transcoding
and (!) Enable Sync Playback to Display. This is need to force transcoding even of native AC3 Input as that might be 640 kbit/s and the FW cannot use it.

You may need a shitty or notsoshitty 17.1 build from:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/
I did not have external audio on Android 5 / Kodi 16 and Android 6/ Kodi system. So right now I'm still a bit confused.

What happens when I just disable pass-through (like I did just now). Does that mean that when I get the additional wireless rear speaker I don't get surround?

ps Sony stated they will update Sony Bravia 2015,2016 and 2017 to Android 7 so if there is enough noise then they could possible act on that.

(2017-05-23 10:20)fritsch Wrote:  Hint:

[Image: liftpress-animation-200.gif]

Live is too short for shitty 40 dollar hardware.
If only that were true, tv was about a thousand, soundbar 350. Rear speakers add 400. What I could do is add the Nvidia shield box if I create another hole in my wall to run cable.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 12:54 by exchequer.)
find quote
Lendax Offline
Hello guys, thanks for the informations, i have the same issue, no DTS with passthrough so i want to take another box to read all my media. Any advice for a modern android box who have no issue and who works really fine ?
find quote
wrxtasy Offline
Moderator²
Just use AC3 Transcoding - what is so difficult about that ?

OR Read Post #2 of this thread for Android boxes with IEC Audio support OR choose a whole bunch of devices that run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

The START HERE thread in the Hardware sub-section has all the info.

We will not allow this thread to be turned into a hardware selection discussion.
find quote