Shield TV vs Sony X850D
So I've been running Kodi (v16) on my Shield TV for about a number of months and it has been fantastic, but over the weekend I picked up a 65" Sony X850D that has Android built in. I'm debating about setting up Kodi directly on the TV. Could anyone list what some of the pros or cons of this may be? Would one of these be better or worse for media playback and overall picture quality?
If both are running the Kodi version of Android, you shouldn't notice a difference at all.

However, I would be very surprised if the TV could decode everything the Shield can, so you'd be bound to come up with a file that you could only play on the Shield.

In short, if it ain't broke...
If you already bought the TV, why not just install Kodi from the store and judge for yourself...
The MediaTek SoC in the Sony is pretty weak. So if you want to do any software decoding, shader based video post processing or gaming, the SHIELD for sure is the better choice.

At CES 2016, Sony promised a faster SoC for all 2016 models which just isn't true. X850D (and all other March 2016 models) is based on the same BRAVIA 2015 platform as last year's X85C. Only the cheap July 2016 models have the new Sony ATV2 platform. They also promised VP9-profile 2 support for all 2016 models. We will see...

For the Sony TV currently running Lollipop 5.1.1 (API 22), Koying's SPMC is the better choice if you want to do audio passthrough. Hopefully Marshmallow on Sony will fix the problems for Kodi too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shield TV vs Sony X850D0