Which OS should I use on my Raspberry Pi if I need a browser?
I've been running OpenElec for about a year now on my Raspberry Pi 2 and it has worked great.

There is only one flaw and unfortunately, a big flaw with this and that is the lack of a browser.

Is there an OS that works well on the Pi 2 and offers up a browser? My preference would be Chrome or Chromium.

Thank you
Someone got chromium working on OSMC.

I tried it out and it's working great on rpi3.

After install OSMC image follow instructions on this post https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/testing-x11-...ller/16846
In my opinion the best option is to use Raspbian. Then install a browser like Chromium and also Kodi. I use something like this for years with no problems, keeping in mind the Raspberry Pi limitations.
Arch Linux is also a slim alternative. There is a Tar archive for the Pi which could be extracted to a prepared SD
There is also Ubuntu Mate Pi edition which is a great distro.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2016-09-14, 22:39)Dangelus Wrote: There is also Ubuntu Mate Pi edition which is a great distro.

I've always liked Ubuntu as my desktop, but would you know what the performance is like on a Pi 2 that has limited resources compared to a full desktop?

I just came across the last post at the URL https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...6&t=149799 . It says that neither Kodi or Chromium are supported with Ubuntu Mate. Thoughts?

Thank you
(2016-09-15, 07:07)ChristmasPi Wrote:
(2016-09-14, 22:39)Dangelus Wrote: There is also Ubuntu Mate Pi edition which is a great distro.

I've always liked Ubuntu as my desktop, but would you know what the performance is like on a Pi 2 that has limited resources compared to a full desktop?

I just came across the last post at the URL https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...6&t=149799 . It says that neither Kodi or Chromium are supported with Ubuntu Mate. Thoughts?

Thank you

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you were looking for a second OS to use with your Pi that had a web browser, not one that also had Kodi. With SD Card switching out on the Pi being so easy etc. As far as Chromium on Ubuntu Mate Pi Edition, I did get it working but you are right it is not in their repo, you have to use a debian source I believe.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2016-09-15, 08:34)Dangelus Wrote:
(2016-09-15, 07:07)ChristmasPi Wrote:

Thank you

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you were looking for a second OS to use with your Pi that had a web browser, not one that also had Kodi. With SD Card switching out on the Pi being so easy etc. As far as Chromium on Ubuntu Mate Pi Edition, I did get it working but you are right it is not in their repo, you have to use a debian source I believe.

So, can I ask, is there any OS that can be used with the Pi 2 that will give me:

1. Kodi
2. A browser - Chromium would be fine.

This Pi 2 is our entertainment system so the preference would be not not have to swap SD cards depending upon which function we need, but rather to find an OS (if available) that would give us both Kodi and a browser.

Thank you
(2016-09-15, 07:07)ChristmasPi Wrote: So, can I ask, is there any OS that can be used with the Pi 2 that will give me:

1. Kodi

This Pi 2 is our entertainment system so the preference would be not not have to swap SD cards depending upon which function we need, but rather to find an OS (if available) that would give us both Kodi and a browser.

Thank you
Arch Linux can run both together (pakages kodi-rbp and chromium). Have a look at google. Arch Linux has a great documentation.
Maybe Void Linux can also be used for this (pakages kodi-rpi and chromium-bsu)
(2016-09-15, 16:55)ChristmasPi Wrote: So, can I ask, is there any OS that can be used with the Pi 2 that will give me:

1. Kodi

Thank you

Like already said you have Raspbian. You have extra repositories with both Chromium and Kodi always updated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which OS should I use on my Raspberry Pi if I need a browser?0