Which OS would you recommend for a laptop
Aha, Ubuntu is working. I don't know how, but when I install Ubuntu and go to network it shows my NAS Workgroup 4 times. One is SMB, one is AFP (Apple File Protocol ?), one is FTP, and the other doesn't do anything. If I mount the SMB one and create a bookmark then it seems to stick. Don't know how you would go about getting NFS, or whether SMB is the best of the other options,.but the main thing is I didn't have to learn any terminal commands first. So, I'll see how it goes, but thus far, Ubuntu is the winner.
It's a real shame it didn't work in Solus as that looked a lot cleaner and seemed a lot quicker than Ubuntu. But, anyway I'm up and underway with Kodi working in Ubuntu and Rhythmbox is scanning my music so I can do away with iTunes at the same time as Windows. If it all works I'll be over the moon.
Thanks for your help.
For NFS you may need to install the nfs-common package.

In the Ubuntu GUI I think that's done via the software-centre these days, but in the past I've always used synaptic to do it under the GUI. One or the other should be there, or you could have a quick trip into a terminal window to do it (just open a terminal window and type

Code:
sudo apt-get install nfs-common

See the second half of this page for more details.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Solus is very limited and lack of any 3rd party software. For example, I was unable to install Skype. Virtualbox guest additions - not possible too. Desktop is based on Gnome, which I don't like -limited again, even more limited than original gnome desktop. Ugly gtk theme, that can't be changed - not possible to install 3rd party gtk themes.
(2016-09-23, 10:31)WelshPaul Wrote: Windows 7 - loved it, and would happily return to it, however, how long is it going to be supported? May be a short term option but the writing's on the wall isn't it?

End of mainstream support - January 13, 2015
End of extended support - January 14, 2020
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...fact-sheet

(2016-09-23, 21:47)giaur Wrote: Solus is very limited and lack of any 3rd party software.

List of 3rd party software
https://wiki.solus-project.com/3rdParty

(2016-09-23, 21:47)giaur Wrote: Virtualbox guest additions - not possible too.

https://wiki.solus-project.com/VirtualBox
(2016-09-23, 15:55)DarrenHill Wrote: For NFS you may need to install the nfs-common package.

Thanks Darren - that turned out to be more important than I realised. It seems a lot of Ubuntu programs don't pick up SMB shares in the file system (eg Easytag), so NFS appears to be really important.

(2016-09-23, 21:47)giaur Wrote: Solus is very limited and lack of any 3rd party software.

Which is why I started this thread. I was looking for a pretty bare bones OS that isn't trying to create an eco-system for my life or sell me shit I don't want. Don't do too much but do it really well is what I was after. I may go back and try again now I've learned how to add NFS shares.

(2016-09-24, 00:49)Shomei Wrote: Windows 7 - End of extended support - January 14, 2020

Hmmm, it may take that long for me to get used to Ubuntu. However, I would imagine that things will start to break pretty soon. I can hardly load any apps on my 2 year old ipod because they all say I need an IIOS upgrade that isn't possible, and I imagine Windows will be the same.

(2016-09-23, 10:59)melhemk Wrote: Trust me, I know what you are going through, but to me it was worth it. Also, more knowledge is never a bad thing.

Yeah, you're right. But I promised when I left school never to learn another thing in my life.
(2016-09-24, 11:46)WelshPaul Wrote: Yeah, you're right. But I promised when I left school never to learn another thing in my life.
RoflRofl

To install software it is called "Ubuntu software" a shopping bag with what seems as an A on it (thought it was something related to Amazon in the beginning Rofl)
(2016-09-24, 00:49)Shomei Wrote: List of 3rd party software

Don't make me laugh, that's all? Well, seriously - too limited for me.
(2016-09-24, 17:21)giaur Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 00:49)Shomei Wrote: List of 3rd party software

Don't make me laugh, that's all? Well, seriously - too limited for me.

Solus is a rather new os, so it is expected i guess.
(2016-09-23, 10:31)WelshPaul Wrote: Windows 10 - so I did the clean install. First off I sat there for 50 minutes watching a blue screen with spinning white dots, saying "Just a Moment". It then did all the crap of signing me into skype, pestering me to log into OneDrive and setting Bing as the default for everything. I set up my network drives and re-booted. First thing that came up - "Could not reconnect all network drives".

Should've said don't make a microsoft account, make a local account.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which OS would you recommend for a laptop0