ir remote/raspbian/kodi 16.1
I got Kodi 16.1 installed on Raspbian 8 Jessie! I finally got my Hauppauge 45 button remote to sort of work with the GPIO ir receiver.

I enabled the lirc_rpi overlay in config.txt then installed lirc. I made a lircd.conf and placed it in /etc/lirc.

A couple of things are going on:
I am getting repeating key presses, that I somewhat mitigated by adding "suppress_repeat 3" to the lircd.conf; better but not perfect.

Some of the keys either don't do anything, even though irw shows they are received, or the do unexpected things. For instance the "OK" button is set to namespace "key_enter", but does nothing sometimes and shows the context menu sometimes.

Questions:

Does kodi and raspbian put the Lircmap.xml, remote.xml and keyboard.xml in the proper folders? Or, am I supposed to figure out on my own where to move them to?

The remote and the lircd.conf worked well in a few other instances; OSMC, Libreelec, openelec etc. In those I only neede to enable the overlay and install the lircd.conf. Did I do right to install lirc, is that why the repeats?
Yes its the same, the configs are/goes in the default folders.
Try using the addon keymap editor, thats what I used for one ir remote.
keymap editor places the gen.xml file in /home/pi/.kodi/userdata/keymaps NOT /usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps where the remote.xml is. That is one of the reasons I asked about moving files around; other reason is that in previous installations I've had to find out by trial & error that some files are stored in inactive directories to be moved if needed.

I have tried changing key_enter to key_ok and key_select, the button does nothing in the home screen and in the addons screen it goes to context menu (which is not mapped to it anywhere in the remote.xml).
/usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps is system wide. /home/pi/.kodi/userdata/keymaps is user specific and has priority over the system one. It is the same on every Linux system.
You have to restart Kodi for the changes to take effect if you are editing the file directly. If you are using the addon Keymap Editor, the changes take place immediatly.
You have to check the names of the keys in your remote, it might not have the correct names depending on your remote, that is one of the reasons that I recommended to use Keymap Editor.
But Kodi does not even get a signal from the "OK" button, so keymap editor does nothing.

irw sees the keypress.

I understand the namespace names, that's why I have tried renaming the key in lircd.conf.

These are problems with 2 different remotes, a Hauppauge 45 button and a Tivo/DirecTV.

I just noticed a Boot error: " Failed to start apply kernel variables"

I guess I will give up on Raspbian too.
Since you say that when you press the OK button in the remote, you get the context menu, which is the "O" key in a normal keyboard, did you try to swap this 2 keys in the config file / Keymap editor ?

My RPi with the IR remote is on my family home, so I cannot check right now. It is running Raspbian Jessie and Kodi 16.1 also. The lirc conf I remember that I got it from one site that has already alot of remotes configs. Than I use Keymap Editor to attribute some buttons who weren't working OOTB.
But Kodi does not even get a signal from the "OK" button, so keymap editor does nothing.

irw does sees the keypress as whatever it is set to in lircd.conf.

have tried changing key_enter to key_ok and key_select in lircd.conf.

The keys that I tried to change with keymap editor didn't work either.

Therefore I am thinking it is not lirc, but something between lirc and Kodi. i.e. one of the .xml files.

I have used the lircd.conf from lirc.org, my own and the one supplied with lirc at /usr/share/lirc/remotes.

The same lircd.conf has worked on openelec, libreelec & OSMC. On those systems the ONLY setup needed is to uncomment the "overlay=lirc_rpi" line in config.txt and then copy the lircd.conf into the lirc folder, after changing OK to ENTER and Channelup to pageup and channeldown to pagedown..

Lirc.org seems to think the lirc.conf files belong in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d; they say that any file ending in .conf in that directory is read. So, there is no longer any need to edit lircd.conf, just put Hauppauge.conf, tivo.conf and rca.conf etc into /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d.

Did I mention that I also have done a completely clean install with the same result?

Now after I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade in an attempt to get the lirc updated (nope) I'm getting a " Failed to start apply kernel variables" error on boot. I don't really need the RPi for Kodi so, I am now flinging my hands up and quitting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ir remote/raspbian/kodi 16.10