Kore app now requires access to private info to my phone number
Sad 
The latest Kore update requires access to private info, such as my phone number and device ID, and remote number connected by a call.

This is an unacceptable breach of privacy. A remote doesn't need access to such private and sensitive data.

Please revert the changes, as I won't be upgrading my app until this is fixed.
Say what?? No such permission needed. App want permission phone ( for pause during call) and storage. I do not grant any and app is still working normally.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Is that the 'phone status' permission?
It looks to be needed for the 'Pause kodi when in a call' option...?
I hadn't noticed 'cos I have kore on a tablet (so not relevant) and a phone using cyanogenmod (so the permission wasn't enabled anyway until I clicked it - which I didn't).
I don't see it wanting the info you describe, but I'm no expert.
Permissions:
Storage: is needed for possible downloading of content from Kodi
Telephone: is needed to be able to pause Kodi when an incoming call is detected.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I have Cyanogenmond, too. When updating the app it requests access to "Device ID & call information" which it didn't have or request earlier. When I expand it, it lists what's mentioned in the OP (phone number etc.).

Perhaps Google is being vague with the permission descriptions, but that's what Play Store says the app is requesting. Where can I confirm it's not asking for phone numbers?
You can have a look at the source code: https://github.com/xbmc/Kore/pull/190

The permission is only needed to be able to detect if the phone is handling a phonecall. This will pause the current playing media, if you enabled the setting of course.
(2016-09-17, 21:11)poisdeux Wrote: You can have a look at the source code: https://github.com/xbmc/Kore/pull/190

The permission is only needed to be able to detect if the phone is handling a phonecall. This will pause the current playing media, if you enabled the setting of course.

I wouldn't know even where to start with reading source code.

Strange that Android/Play Store is so obtuse with describing what permissions it is requesting. I'm sure I'm not the only one freaked out about Kore asking for such permissions.
Android's permission model is an annoyance to many. With android 6 they introduced runtime permissions. This means you do not need to approve upfront, but only need to approve when the app really wants to use the permission. This usually gives a better indication why an app needs the permission. For instance, with Kore it will ask for the permission if you enable the corresponding setting "Pause playing while phone in a call".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kore app now requires access to private info to my phone number0