Should I get (NVidia Shield + HDHomeRun) OR (Skystream ONE)?
(2016-09-19, 05:07)wrxtasy Wrote: How is Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 Audio handled in this "tweaked" for Shield - Amazon Prime App ?

Well, it's not "tweaked", it's a direct pull from Sony Android TVs, so it's designed to work on Android TV but it's a device specific app that has to be sideloaded. But currently it's limited to 2 channel.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-09-19, 05:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-09-19, 04:24)Tinwarble Wrote: Actually, sideloading the Amazon Prime app from Sony TVs works just fine for at least 1080p streaming.
How is Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 Audio handled in this "tweaked" for Shield - Amazon Prime App ?
I'd say no different than how Netflix is handled on Wetek devices. I'm just happy to receive Amazon Prime in 1080p on the Shield TV, audio pass through be damned, being as though I pay for the service at this time.
(2016-09-19, 04:44)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-09-19, 02:16)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm sure all 20 EU live TV users that use the Shield TV are very upset about that.
Here:
That is 24 users on the Shield forum who have reported this deinterlace issue in one thread alone. 4 more than what you said Tongue

@ned Scott
I really respect all you are doing on this forum and for the Kodi community but this shows how clueless you are about this matter. I know plenty of people in Denmark alone that are affected by this. I myself have 3 Shields that i have stopped using because of this issue Sad Im thinking Nvidia feels the same as you since they dont seem to give this priority at all Sad

Actually the cheap Amlogic boxes that you guys hate so much is working much better than the Shield in my setup right now!

/Jacob
Well, no, I'm not clueless. I'm painfully aware of how many EU people this affects, since proper deinterlacing support is essential to the company I work for, which focuses on live TV in the EU market. Heck, I should jump on the Shield hate wagon just to help the sales of my company's product.

Nvidia doesn't care enough. I'm sorry, but they don't. Just like how some companies don't care about the Mac OS platform, and hey, I'm a mac user. It would be realistic to say that this issue affects probably less than 1% of Nvidia Shield customers. You can't expect them do make this a high priority over other issues. That would be insane.

I swear, if I hear another god damn live TV user bitch and moan about the world of interlaced content, I'm gonna explode. Interlacing should have died with the CRT, but greedy broadcasters wanted to shove more data in broadcasts without waiting for the technology to catch up, or fronting the money for upgrades to allow it to happen faster. It's still around, so we all have to deal with it, fine, but don't expect everyone to drop everything when they have other parts of their company to run. Even for Nvidia, the Shield platform itself (including the portables) is a drop in the bucket. Have some perspective, people!

Be happy that they will address the issue at all (and they will). That's more than can be said about most of the Android box market. One day you'll be able to tell your grandchildren about how good they have it, that their video-brain implants don't have to deal with interlaced content.
also, OP is not affected by this issue, so stop hijacking the thread
(2016-09-19, 04:03)zefox Wrote:
(2016-09-19, 02:16)Ned Scott Wrote: To answer OP's question, get the HDHomeRun option. You'll pay a little more, but it's really worth it. You'll have an excellent network tuner that should outlast the actual TV box itself and works with almost any video player. If you're worried about the interlacing thing, get the Extend model which will transcode, but I wouldn't worry about it with a Shield.
Yes regarding the HDHomeRun I think I'm almost ready to order it, but two more questions:
  1. Does the EXTEND stream both the DLNA/Mpeg2 and the H264 transcoded signal, or is only the CONNECT streaming the native DLNA/Mpeg2 one?
  2. How much bandwidth does the H264 transcoded signal eats? (I believe the native DLNA/Mpeg2 is about 15Mbps, right?)
Regarding the Shield, I'm still a bit unsure, it's tempting though but maybe not 100% perfect (well, nothing is...)

1) It will stream both. It's pretty easy to dictate which stream you get, using SD's add-on, app, or various other methods.

2) Not sure, but it's a lot less than MPEG2. There are different transcoding profiles so it can probably go as low as you need it to.
I'm going to help with the Hijack then...and wind Ned up a bit further... Wink

@mylle, Ned Scott is not the only guy here on the forums thinking this way. Tinwarble is in denial as well Wink

Pretty narrow view of a Kodi media player IMHO when this is actually a Worldwide Kodi forum and PVR and TV is a Core component of any Kodi distribution.

It's the Septic's view of the Kodi world where we are all supposed to use fast IPTV or Internet streaming services to view content in Kodi or Android. This is called the Walled Garden approach to keep users locked and consuming paid for content within an Eco-System.
Amazon does this superbly with limiting Amazon only devices to 5.1/7.1 Audio and 1080/2160p if wanting to use Amazon Prime media streaming.

PS. I need to buy beer before gathering the Troops just to see Ned Scott EXPLODE !
Cmon, Ned - Noggin may be out of a job if Broadcast Interlaced content died overnight. Support your fellow Kodi user I say !

(2016-09-20, 04:52)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm going to help with the Hijack then... Wink

@mylle, Ned Scott is not the only guy here on the forums thinking this way. Tinwarble is in denial as well Wink

Pretty narrow view of a Kodi media player IMHO when this is actually a Worldwide Kodi forum and PVR and TV is a Core component of any Kodi distribution.

It's the Septic's view of the Kodi world where we are all supposed to use fast IPTV or Internet streaming services to view content in Kodi or Android. This is called the Walled Garden approach to keep users locked and consuming paid for content within an Eco-System.
Amazon does this superbly with limiting Amazon only devices to 5.1/7.1 Audio and 1080/2160p if wanting to use Amazon Prime media streaming.

You're confusing my bluntness with support. If it were up to me then interlaced issues would be fixed ASAP. I still have to deal with interlaced content (though I don't have to deal with this specific interlaced bug) in my own personal life, because that's how my cable provider gives me my content. Love or hate it, interlacing is still here in 2016.

It's not about what I want, or what you want. However, it's foolish to expect Nvidia to drop everything for a tiny fraction of their customer base, which would likely come at the expense of something else that is in higher demand. That's why I gave the Mac example. I would love it if macs had better software support (including from Nvidia!) but I understand why they don't. It's a smaller part of the pie.
Well all we can do is continue to warn potential (Non - US) Shield purchasers that want to view Interlaced TV content, is to stay away from the nVIDIA Shield for the immediate future then. Until a bug fix comes down the Pipe.

User will continue to complain even with that. Suggestion, use the "Scott" filter to bypass the words TV, Interlaced and Shield when reading on the forum Wink

(2016-09-20, 04:52)wrxtasy Wrote: @mylle, Ned Scott is not the only guy here on the forums thinking this way. Tinwarble is in denial as well Wink

Denial? Come on, there's no denial, but someone has to counter act the, "it's completely broken", when something that is broken doesn't affect everyone.

Apparently we need to invest in a dictionary for wrxtasy

Quote:denial: the action of declaring something to be untrue

the refusal of something requested or desired

a statement that something is not true

failure to acknowledge an unacceptable truth or emotion or to admit it into consciousness, used as a defense mechanism

I've never stated it wasn't an issue, only not a issue for US users, and stated that it WILL be fixed in the next update. Not because I want it to be fixed or because I think it will be fix, but because after a phone meeting (Fri before last) with the guy that's over the Shield development this issue was discussed and it was stated it will be fixed.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-09-20, 04:43)Ned Scott Wrote: Nvidia doesn't care enough. I'm sorry, but they don't.

And I wouldn't say that either. The bug has only existed for a little over 2.5 months (not 3 months as some others have claimed). 3.2 was released on 6/29/2016, add 1 day for June, 31 days for July, 31 days for Aug & 19 days for Sept, that's 82 days. 82/31=2.64 (I used 31 since 2 months in a row have 31 days) and that number becomes smaller (closer to 2 months) if you enter in the number of weekends and holidays, not to mention a lot of people take vacations around July and Aug. So you can probably subtract a couple of weeks, at least, if key members of the development team went on vacation during those months.
I'm sure Ned Scott knows everything.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
And here I was thinking Martijn was the "Eye of Mordor" surveying everything.
I need to adjust my perception filter it seems Wink Wink
Rofl

(2016-09-20, 07:03)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-09-20, 04:43)Ned Scott Wrote: Nvidia doesn't care enough. I'm sorry, but they don't.

And I wouldn't say that either. The bug has only existed for a little over 2.5 months (not 3 months as some others have claimed). 3.2 was released on 6/29/2016, add 1 day for June, 31 days for July, 31 days for Aug & 19 days for Sept, that's 82 days. 82/31=2.64 (I used 31 since 2 months in a row have 31 days) and that number becomes smaller (closer to 2 months) if you enter in the number of weekends and holidays, not to mention a lot of people take vacations around July and Aug. So you can probably subtract a couple of weeks, at least, if key members of the development team went on vacation during those months.
My head hurts just reading that, it lunch and Beers time to try and ease the pain !
(I'm sure that post was intentionally painful by Tinwarble) Wink

(2016-09-20, 07:42)Martijn Wrote: I'm sure Ned Scott knows everything.

I'm very confused by this statement.

If I said something that sounded arrogant then I'm sorry. I'm honestly not sure what you are getting at here.
(2016-09-20, 08:31)wrxtasy Wrote: My head hurts just reading that, it lunch and Beers time to try and ease the pain !
(I'm sure that post was intentionally painful by Tinwarble) Wink

Then it was worth every minute it took to write it. Rofl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I get (NVidia Shield + HDHomeRun) OR (Skystream ONE)?1