Solved Full screen on Ubuntu 16.04.1
I have just recently switched from Windows to Linux Ubuntu 16.04 to try and learn this OS (system administration), I have installed the normal Ubuntu 16.04 with the GUI as it wouldn't be possible for me to make the huge jump from windows to non-GUI linux.
On windows I used to have Kodi (Jarvis 16.1) on Fullscreen on TV (connected from laptop DP port using DP->HDMI cable) while laptop monitor has the normal desktop (in Extended mode).

Now with linux it seems I cannot do the same, if I full screen KODI to the TV it will just result in black screen, Even if I don't accept the dialog that comes out asking if I want to keep this change (I cannot see the dialog but I assume it is there), then KODI windows returns to fullscreen to the laptop screen but also in black! then I have to exit Kodi and start again, pressing "\" to change from fullscreen to windowed will still have a black screen.
The only option seems to be Windowed mode, but I can see the bar at the top (the one with clock, battery, WiFI..etc).

I don't know if this is expected behavior or not, or if what I want is possible or not, I appreciate if anybody can clarify.

Log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23203661/
mesa: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23203667/
dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23203670/

Edit:
Code:
19:10:16 T:140340206246272   ERROR: failed to create EGL window surface 12293
19:10:16 T:140340206246272    INFO: GL: Maximum texture width: 32768
19:10:16 T:140340206246272   ERROR: ResetRenderSystem() GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS_ARB returned invalid value 89018368
Seems this is my issue
You're running kodi on ubuntus default desktop(unity). Unity and other compositing window managers severely interfere with kodi.
At least try disabling compositing for full screen apps. The settings is called something like "unredirect fullscreen windows".

Much better would be switching to another desktop, e.g. XFCE or starting into the kodi desktop session directly.
Thank you for the information.
I tried to play with unredirect fullscreen windows, it worked but the video was stuttering, anyway I found out that if I disable the laptop built-in display it works well on the TV.
I will just use it this way until I get a dedicated Kodi machine.

Just another question, on windows if I was playing a video with the DP cable unplugged, the sound would come from laptop speakers, when I plug the cable the sound will then come from TV (and back to laptop speakers if I unplug; i.e hotplug).
On Linux it doesn't behave this way? I had the default audio output as PulseAudio default, but seems I need to change it to HDMI to get sound from TV. If I unplug the cable the sound would not come from laptop speakers until I change the setting back to default (or the other setting for built-in speakers forgot the name).
you should be able to change this in pulseaudio settings(pavucontrol) and keep pulse default audio output in kodi.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Seems it will take me a while to get used to Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full screen on Ubuntu 16.04.10