v16 VPN question on RPi 3 OSMC Kodi Jarvis
I have looked through the forums and I cannot find an answer to my question. I want to set up a VPN with my rasberry pi 3. I am using OSMC/Kodi and I have AT&T internet. Does anybody have a good working solution for this?
Thanks!
Check out the OSMC Forums -- this has been covered a bit. We will eventually add support for configuration via My OSMC, but for now you will need to configure it via the command line.
Was also quite easy to do (without commandline stuff) in OpenElec.

From memory you downloaded an OpenVPN binary from the OpenElec Unofficial repo, copied over your ovpn config files to your Pi, and used Brian Hornsby's OpenVPN add-on (remembering to point the add-on to the right place for the OpenVPN binary, as the deafult was wrong for OpenElec)

I haven't done it on LibreElec so this may be out of date.
(2016-09-24, 18:15)noggin Wrote: Was also quite easy to do (without commandline stuff) in OpenElec.

From memory you downloaded an OpenVPN binary from the OpenElec Unofficial repo, copied over your ovpn config files to your Pi, and used Brian Hornsby's OpenVPN add-on (remembering to point the add-on to the right place for the OpenVPN binary, as the deafult was wrong for OpenElec)

I haven't done it on LibreElec so this may be out of date.

You can use Brian's tool on OSMC too.

However -- ConnMan (used in both OSMC and LE/OE) doesn't like routes to be changed without it knowing, and sometimes this can cause problems (but only if the device is left on for a long period of time, with disconnections from the VPN in this time).

The proper solution is to use connman's vpn agent.
I think LibreElec has OpenVPN built in now.

I'm any case Lrusak made a newer and better OpenVPN add-on, which works perfectly and just needs a .ovpn file.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
That will probably be using ConnMan's built in OpenVPN capabilities then Smile

We'll add something to My OSMC shortly.
(2016-09-25, 13:28)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: That will probably be using ConnMan's built in OpenVPN capabilities then Smile

We'll add something to My OSMC shortly.

VPN be great addition Sam. If possible to also implement a killswitch in the vpn also.
Thank you for all of the input. hopefully they will add something soon to make it a little easier
I find that Connman causes quite a few issues with OSMC. Around 24 hours after connecting to a VPN like PIA, the connection will break causing any requests to the internet to timeout.

As a temp fix I ended up running openvpn connection via CRON, restarting it every couple of hours as a temp fix. Until it becomes a permanent feature of MyOSMC.
RaspberryPi 3 (Main Media Centr): OSMC 2016.10-1
Mac Mini (Main Media Centre): OS X 10.11.6, Kodi 16.1 Jarvis
Mac Pro: OS X 10.11.6, Kodi 16.1 Jarvis

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VPN question on RPi 3 OSMC Kodi Jarvis0