• 64(current)
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
@mirror88

Wil the problems with external subtitles be solved as this is a real dealbreaker for me?
( font is horrible, ugly and the characters most of the time overlap each other)
(2016-12-08, 11:04)Plextor Wrote: @mirror88

Wil the problems with external subtitles be solved as this is a real dealbreaker for me?
( font is horrible, ugly and the characters most of the time overlap each other)
@Plextor, how awful is it? Can you attach a picture here? thanks
(2016-12-08, 12:28)Vimaro Wrote:
(2016-12-08, 11:04)Plextor Wrote: @mirror88

@Plextor, how awful is it? Can you attach a picture here? thanks

I don't have the device yet...I want to buy it but because of this issue I'm hesitating to buy another device Q10 Pro maybe
(2016-12-07, 19:09)KILLERNADS Wrote:
(2016-12-07, 18:30)Plextor Wrote: Hmmm..doesn't sound very good to me...
Maybe I'll go for the Himedia Q10 Pro...

Thanks for the reply KILLERNADS

No worries but problem with the Q10 is that you will most likely have issues with 3D ISO files! Which is a bigger issue then just subtitles that can be easily fixed! Also I'm not sure but does Q10 also use a external media player or does it use the in built Kodi video player?

@KILLERNADS,

Did you maybe also try to embed the srt into a mkv via toolnix (should take seconds) and then maybe the subtitles are displayed better?
@mirror88
Please add a better hdmi cec compatibility:
When the player is turned on (either from TV and Zidoo remote) the TV has to turn on and switch on the correct input.
Thank you
(2016-12-07, 21:22)Plextor Wrote: I really don't care about 3D to be honest...

Them why you buying a device that is meant to do 3D.
You would be better served with something that does 2D properly and less buggy.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2016-12-08, 23:09)couto27 Wrote:
(2016-12-07, 21:22)Plextor Wrote: I really don't care about 3D to be honest...

Them why you buying a device that is meant to do 3D.

I really hope not.
Of everything I read in reviews and mostly here, I think these devices are very capable in 2D.
Yes, there are some issues to be fixed, but I'm truly convicted that I just ordered the X9S :-)
And I not only do not care about 3D, but also I do not have a 3D TV.
I'm using the X9S for a while new but after updating to 1.2.7 I have an issue. When watching a simple mkv 1080i episode from different series after a while I see frame drops (or low frame rates resulting in stuttering, like that buffer is empty) for a couple of seconds and after that it runs OK. Yesterday it happened 2 times while watching a 40 minutes episode.

I stream the series using a synologie nas which I have a couple of questions years now without problems.
(2016-12-08, 23:09)couto27 Wrote: Them why you buying a device that is meant to do 3D.

I just want to have the best device available.
I hoped it was the X9S based on the reviewshere but I'm reading that there are still some problems with it.

A store told me to buy the Q10 Pro instead of the X9S because the firmware on the Q10 is more stable.
I also want to have very good subtitle support but there are also issues with the X9S for subtitles (external)

I'm used to a popcorn hour device which did a great job playing almost everything and always got good firmware support in the past.
The popcorn hour A-500 specifications are not so good concerning HMDI, HDR,...
So you want to buy a box that has known problems with both Subtitles and stuff like resume points when using an external player solution ?
Do you want to be a Beta Firmware Test Pilot, to help Zidoo iron out bugs and develop further ?

I never trust any Seller that says - "yes a fix is coming". It does not matter who it is.

I agree completely with what @couto27 has said above too.

I also suggest you read about Kodi / external player Pitfalls from This Post onwards

If you want a relatively bug free device ditch all these Android boxes completely and use LibreELEC Kodi. Then use all those fancy Picture Processing enhancement features most TV's have to improve the image quality.

I suggest, you actually list your Audio and Video codec requirements first before asking for advice on buying any box if you want no non-sense feedback on the ideal box.

(2016-12-09, 08:06)Plextor Wrote: I just want to have the best device available.

(2016-12-09, 08:06)Plextor Wrote: A store told me to buy the Q10 Pro instead of the X9S because the firmware on the Q10 is more stable.
Dont intent to jerk this topic but i only can speak for my experience, im sure others will have different requirements using Android.

Usabillity
Android TV Apps are coded with screen TV/Projectos in mind, not like the Android OS with smartphone or tablets, i dont use keyboards in the cinema room, the closer i have is some bluetooth mouse rarely used for any sideload app, in the end its a true media player experience.

Streaming in 4K HDR dolby digital/dts 5.1 & dolby atmos
Amazon (not officially supported but works), Vudu (dolby vision support and soon HDR10 ) Netflix
The lack of UHD blu-ray rips is forcing users to get 4K streaming, in the end of the day its the best 4K HDR available by small monthly fee.

Local Playback
Kodi, SPMC, Plex Media server, all supporting subtitles and excellent 2D blu-ray playback with passthrough of HD audio
I dont really see other players doing the above so well what the SATV does (excluding 3D), it has support all Android versions so far, its the fastest android hardware on the market, and its firmware has long pass the alpha/beta stage.

If read so complains about audio delays in Zidoo, just compare with the Shield TV Audio SYCN FEATURE meant to be used with receivers..
Its just small feature, but that can say alot about the "real" user experience.

If someone dont require 3D...i can't see any more obvious choice.
But this are only my small requirements...
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2016-12-09, 10:13)couto27 Wrote: Streaming in 4K HDR dolby digital/dts 5.1 & dolby atmos
Amazon (not officially supported but works), Vudu (dolby vision support and soon HDR10 ) Netflix
The lack of UHD blu-ray rips is forcing users to get 4K streaming, in the end of the day its the best 4K HDR available by small monthly fee.

I have Netflix 4K Streaming app on my LG OLED which is fantastic!

(2016-12-09, 10:13)couto27 Wrote: Local Playback
Kodi, SPMC, Plex Media server, all supporting subtitles and excellent 2D blu-ray playback with passthrough of HD audio
I dont really see other players doing the above so well what the SATV does (excluding 3D), it has support all Android versions so far, its the fastest android hardware on the market, and its firmware has long pass the alpha/beta stage.

What is SATV ?

(2016-12-09, 10:13)couto27 Wrote: If read so complains about audio delays in Zidoo, just compare with the Shield TV Audio SYCN FEATURE meant to be used with receivers..
Its just small feature, but that can say alot about the "real" user experience.

If someone dont require 3D...i can't see any more obvious choice.
But this are only my small requirements...

Do you mean that I should consider a Nvidia Shield TV?
Hello new user of the zidoo x9s.

I have owned a popcorn hour A210 for years been a great product, despite the firmware not been updated in over a year because it's discontinued.Even movies with atmos plays back except a few and obviously does not do 3D. I have a oppo 93 with an external hard drive for the 3D movies and gives me full blu ray menus just like the popcorn hour.

So i thought i would treat myself and buy the best unit currently available according to the online reviews.
Well after days of hassle i'm ready to send back, i have posted on the zidoo forums but no solutions at the moment.
Current firmware installed 1.2.7.

1. within kodi i can sort of playback movies not using the external player, but when i use the explorer and set up a network share smb: e.t.c i can navigate the folders but then it will loose connection i have to reboot the player, which will happen again, an unknown error occurs.

2. within kodi i set use the external player, i get a pop up External player active click ok when playback has ended, i see small controls on a bar pause,stop etc. When i click ok nothing happens.

I have reset the box cleared apps tried everything with no solutions.

My equipment is a panasonic vt55 and a denon x2200 and a synology NAS.
not 4K which considering the problems i am having just as well.

Sorry if the above is in the wrong section please move if necessary but i am very frustrated.
(2016-12-09, 11:02)gadgetman67 Wrote: Hello new user of the zidoo x9s.

I have owned a popcorn hour A210 for years been a great product, despite the firmware not been updated in over a year because it's discontinued.Even movies with atmos plays back except a few and obviously does not do 3D. I have a oppo 93 with an external hard drive for the 3D movies and gives me full blu ray menus just like the popcorn hour.

So i thought i would treat myself and buy the best unit currently available according to the online reviews.
Well after days of hassle i'm ready to send back, i have posted on the zidoo forums but no solutions at the moment.

1. within kodi i can sort of playback movies not using the external player, but when i use the explorer and set up a network share smb: e.t.c i can navigate the folders but then it will loose connection i have to reboot the player, which will happen again, an unknown error occurs.

2. within kodi i set use the external player, i get a pop up External player active click ok when playback has ended, i see small controls on a bar pause,stop etc. When i click ok nothing happens.

Sorry if the above is in the wrong section please move if necessary but i am very frustrated.
Out of interest which specific online reviews ?
(2016-12-09, 11:02)Plextor Wrote: Do you mean that I should consider a Nvidia Shield TV?
Here is a BIG Hint about how popular a Kodi Hardware platform is.
And it is for a very good reason. Its has 3202 Replies and 907,763 Views:

CLICK HERE

Wink

(2016-12-09, 11:02)gadgetman67 Wrote: Hello new user of the zidoo x9s.

Do you use the Ethernet or the wifi?
Do you mounted the antennas?
Do you use ZDMC setting to external player or use kodi + wrapper?
Could you make a log file to us?
We will check this issue,Thanks.
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8