• 19(current)
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
(2016-10-18, 08:46)ceaca Wrote: I do not think has a better image than the A410 (1080p) and especially than a500. Sigma Design is renowned for image quality.
But Realtek RTD1295DD is a very new SoC with an outstanding PQ according to hdmkv, even slightly higher than Hi3798C V200 used in HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro. An one on one test is needed to prove this statement. Anyone?
Tongue 
(2016-10-18, 10:29)boblo Wrote:
(2016-10-18, 08:46)ceaca Wrote: I do not think has a better image than the A410 (1080p) and especially than a500. Sigma Design is renowned for image quality.
But Realtek RTD1295DD is a very new SoC with an outstanding PQ according to hdmkv, even slightly higher than Hi3798C V200 used in HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro. An one on one test is needed to prove this statement. Anyone?
the point is other:

Popcorn use only 40% of video engine.
Himedia q10 pro use 100% of video engine ,unfortunately when engine is ON have more contrast but sharpness than x9s.

Realtek RTD1295DD is not clear have post-processing video engine,there aren't any info on datasheet, but have a good "clear" (without post-processing) picture quality: upscaling, decoding ecc..
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
just wanna get zidoo x9s or witek play 2 + dvb-s2... is the picture quality x9s much better then wetek play 2 or same. please help to make decision which on to buy.
Those are two very different players. One can do full 3D, while other cannot. One can render at 10-bit and HDR, while other cannot. PQ is one thing, but what are you looking for in terms of A/V playback capabilities? I'd suggest starting here.

(2016-10-18, 10:29)boblo Wrote: But Realtek RTD1295DD is a very new SoC with an outstanding PQ according to hdmkv, even slightly higher than Hi3798C V200 used in HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro. An one on one test is needed to prove this statement. Anyone?
I don't know how you can "prove" that PQ is better... it's subjective. But, as @looun, @pcristi, @Skank and others are testing and posting their impressions, we're getting to a chorus on this Smile.

@looun, nice avatar btw Smile.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
@hdmkv: Well, comparing a non-3D video, without 10-bit nor HDR, just a 1080p movie with same conditions for both players. I think this is a good starting point...
(2016-10-18, 14:28)hdmkv Wrote: I don't know how you can "prove" that PQ is better... it's subjective. But, as @looun, @pcristi, @Skank and others are testing and posting their impressions, we're getting to a chorus on this Smile.
I may make some comments later this week Wink
Nice... look forward to your insights!
My Family Room Theater
Mirror88, any plans to release with kodi 17? And all further kodi versions?

Kodi 17 is due out soon, so..
(2016-10-18, 16:52)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-10-18, 14:28)hdmkv Wrote: I don't know how you can "prove" that PQ is better... it's subjective. But, as @looun, @pcristi, @Skank and others are testing and posting their impressions, we're getting to a chorus on this Smile.
I may make some comments later this week Wink
Are you going to make a direct comparison between a Popcorn A-500/500 Pro or VTEN and X9S? Please start evaluating picture quality with a 1080p movie (no 3D, no HDR, no 10-bit). We are many users in other forum wanting to know if picture quality is actually better or not.

Thanks in advance
(2016-10-18, 23:35)boblo Wrote: Are you going to make a direct comparison between a Popcorn A-500/500 Pro or VTEN and X9S? Please start evaluating picture quality with a 1080p movie (no 3D, no HDR, no 10-bit). We are many users in other forum wanting to know if picture quality is actually better or not.
Thanks in advance
No. I don't have the A-500/500 Pro and I am not even planning to get one. I haven't bought any Popcorn Hour device after the C-300. I may compare it against the Shield, Amlogic S905X, Pi2 etc.

@hdmkv: Do you have any problem playing DTS:X videos? Your chart shows it as "pass". I am noticing a long delay before playback starts and also some interruptions. All this is in ZDMC.

Oh well... it looks my unit just died. It is stuck in "HEllo". Will have to see whether I can revive it with a firmware flash.
(2016-10-19, 00:11)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-10-18, 23:35)boblo Wrote: Are you going to make a direct comparison between a Popcorn A-500/500 Pro or VTEN and X9S? Please start evaluating picture quality with a 1080p movie (no 3D, no HDR, no 10-bit). We are many users in other forum wanting to know if picture quality is actually better or not.
Thanks in advance
No. I don't have the A-500/500 Pro and I am not even planning to get one. I haven't bought any Popcorn Hour device after the C-300. I may compare it against the Shield, Amlogic S905X, Pi2 etc.
I got it. We are really interested in a face to face comparison with a device equipped with a Sigma SoC... Even a Dune device (like Solo 4K) would be valid...
I don't know whether I have a dud unit or not. If I were to comment on the performance today, I will only have issues to list. I cannot even get 3D to work properly on a Samsung UHD TV which otherwise has no problem with 3D playback (unlike the Sony UHD TVs). The resolution/refresh rate switching seems to be all messed up. I don't know whether it has to do with the settings that I have selected. I guess, I need to spend more time on it. More later...

@hdmkv: can you check the LG Chess clip (2160p60) with your UHD TV. When I play this clip, it is switching to 1080p60.
If I set Deep Color to anything but off I was having a lot of issues with playback, so maybe look at that.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
@wesk05, are you on the lastest f/w? Settings as noted in post #1? 3D was working for me even w/the initial (factory) f/w.

Re: some 4K clips and X9S wanting to render them in 1080p, I let @mirror88 know about this. I sometimes get a pop-up message asking to switch to 1080p/60, and have to select 'No'.
My Family Room Theater
(2016-10-19, 15:53)hdmkv Wrote: @wesk05, are you on the lastest f/w? Settings as noted in post #1? 3D was working for me even w/the initial (factory) f/w.

Re: some 4K clips and X9S wanting to render them in 1080p, I let @mirror88 know about this. I sometimes get a pop-up message asking to switch to 1080p/60, and have to select 'No'.
The box came with 1.2.3 firmware which I updated to 1.2.4. I tested it on both versions. As for settings, I have HDMI output, Deep color, Colorspace all on "Auto". Audio output is also on "Auto". I also have 1080p24 and auto 29.97/59.4 selected under "Playback". These options are repeated under "Developer options" also. I am not sure whether they are the same or different.

As for 3D not working for me, I think it has to do with the fact that the box is connected to a UHD 3D TV. I think the box is probably switching the output resolution to 2160p. I have to check this again on a 1080p TV.

I am somewhat disappointed with the out of the box experience. I thought Xiaomi Mi was bad, but this was lower than that. This is my personal experience and it may have to do with the fact that when I test these boxes I am always looking for things that do not work as expected or conform to standards Wink
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use8