RPi 3 Power issue with powered HDD
Hi
It seems I have a unique problem. All the threads I searched relate to USB powered external HDD. I have a powered Verbatim extenal HDD but I still get the rainbow squares of power supply problems. Sometime yellow but most of the time red, with visible distorting of video. As I understand it, the HDD should take minimal power form the Rpi's USB port?

On it's own, the Pi works fine, video add-ons works fine, it's just when watching videos from the external HDD.

It's a Rpi3 model B with a Rpi Power adapter and a powered Verbatim 1TB external HDD.

Will a powered USB hub make a difference?

Thanks for any help or tips.
(2016-09-24, 10:48)OJ-K Wrote: It seems I have a unique problem. All the threads I searched relate to USB powered external HDD. I have a powered Verbatim extenal HDD but I still get the rainbow squares of power supply problems. Sometime yellow but most of the time red, with visible distorting of video. As I understand it, the HDD should take minimal power form the Rpi's USB port?

Is the warning symbol rainbow coloured:

which means under-voltage or is it yellow (throttling arm due to temperature) or red (throttling arm and gpu due to temperature).?
It's mostly solid yellow or red.

(2016-09-24, 12:04)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 10:48)OJ-K Wrote: It seems I have a unique problem. All the threads I searched relate to USB powered external HDD. I have a powered Verbatim extenal HDD but I still get the rainbow squares of power supply problems. Sometime yellow but most of the time red, with visible distorting of video. As I understand it, the HDD should take minimal power form the Rpi's USB port?

Is the warning symbol rainbow coloured:

which means under-voltage or is it yellow (throttling arm due to temperature) or red (throttling arm and gpu due to temperature).?
(2016-09-24, 13:47)OJ-K Wrote: It's mostly solid yellow or red.

That's a temperature issue. What is the format of the video you are playing?
I suspect they are being software decoded which can get the Pi hot.
If you are using a case then try without the case. A heatsink or case with built in heatsink can help.
The FLIRC case (including the Kodi branded version) are very good.
Thumbs Up 
Thank you very much!!!
I started playing around and seems to have sorted the problem by removing it from the case and and getting a bit of ventilation through my TV cabninet. The video files were indeed MKV files.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

(2016-09-24, 15:45)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 13:47)OJ-K Wrote: It's mostly solid yellow or red.

That's a temperature issue. What is the format of the video you are playing?
I suspect they are being software decoded which can get the Pi hot.
If you are using a case then try without the case. A heatsink or case with built in heatsink can help.
The FLIRC case (including the Kodi branded version) are very good.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPi 3 Power issue with powered HDD0