Win One Kodi for Multiple Accounts
I'm certain this question has been asked and answered, but I'm having a heck of a time getting a parsable amount of search results that are on-topic. What I'mt trying to achieve is simple, yet mind-boggling difficult to achieve.

What I'm trying to do is give two user accounts on my windows machine (NOT between Microsoft Live accounts, networked devices, or kodi users) access to Kodi. To be more specific, I have two logins on my Windows 10 machine, mine and my husbands. I want for either of us to be able to log into our respective accounts and access the same Kodi.

I originally installed Kodi on my account and set everything up before his account was even on the computer. He can log into his account and open the application Kodi itself, but all the settings are default and no media files are available in the library.

How can I achieve this?
Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode (wiki) ?

To migrate your current setup:

Copy the contents of C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\Kodi to \your-install-folder\portable_data
(probably C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\portable_data)
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
This very well looks like it should be the solution, thanks!

I'll just backup my settings, remove Kodi and reinstall from scratch and make sure it runs from portable mode in the normal folder it installs to.

Will report any failures/successes.
You can copy your settings from your install to a portable one easily...

- In windows type %APPDATA% in the start box and hit return.
- Copy the kodi folder from there into the root of your portable install folder.
- rename that kodi folder you've justed pasted to portable_data
- start kodi: it should be identical to the original (unless you've installed a later version, in which case it will upgrade).
(2016-09-25, 18:50)alecjbrock Wrote: This very well looks like it should be the solution, thanks!

I'll just backup my settings, remove Kodi and reinstall from scratch and make sure it runs from portable mode in the normal folder it installs to.

Will report any failures/successes.

good luck Smile
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
I tried reinstalling Kodi and adding the switch -p to the target field like suggested, but when I went to launch Kodi I got an error box that says

"ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting"

The solution to this was to also set the shortcut to run as administrator.

I'm presently restoring form the backup (didn't see your other suggestions til it was too late) and will know shortly how successful this was. Will try disabling Run as admin to see if the app always has to have this or if it's only for the initial setup when the -p switch is turned on.
Did you install Kodi into "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)"?

Sometimes Windows doesn't play nice with permissions on the Program Files directory.
I always install to d:\Kodi and I've never had issues.
(2016-09-25, 19:38)zerocool_ie Wrote: I always install to d:\Kodi and I've never had issues.

Do you mean C:\Kodi, as in install it directly to a new folder in C:\?

I installed it to the default location for my computer which is Program Files (x86).

Everything is working fine except for the fact that I have to run it as admin at all times which means getting an extra dialog box asking me for permission each time it launches.

I'll try moving it to a new folder like recommended to see if it makes any difference.
Moving to C:\Kodi works perfectly.

This also changed the way the shortcut works. The target no longer has quotes "C:\Kodi\Kodi.exe" -p and is now C:\Kodi\Kodi.exe -p, no need to run as admin.

Now to go back and double check that it works across all users this way.
You need administrator rights to write in program files, that's why you had the issue.
I use C:\Programs as the base for my portable apps, as opposed to c:\Program Files", a clean and simple solution imho.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
(2016-09-25, 19:59)PH-SYM Wrote: I use C:\Programs as the base for my portable apps, as opposed to c:\Program Files", a clean and simple solution imho.

Good solution as well. Right now I just have AutoDesk and Kodi under C:\. Knowing this trick now though, I'll likely have a lot more applications installed directly to C:\ and this tip will come in handy.

Everything is working across all users now, just had to make sure the network drive was setup to be accessed from the secondary account as well.

Thanks for the help!

If anyone has any questions about my particular setup that might be of relevance to them, ask away.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
One Kodi for Multiple Accounts0