Trader makes legal history as first person in UK prosecuted over selling TV boxes
A trader selling boxes which allow viewers to watch copyright material for free is set to be the first in the UK to face prosecution.

But Brian Thompson says that even though he's being taken to court for selling Android boxes , he is pleading not guilty.

The trader, from Middlesborough, has been told Middlesbrough Council is taking him to court following an 18-month investigation in what could prove a landmark case.

The council claims the boxes are illegal, but Brian said: “I am pleading not guilty and I’m going to fight this.”

The kit - also known as a ‘Kodi box’ - allows viewers to watch programming like Premier League football and Hollywood movies for free, reports the Gazette .

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tra...st-8874373

Will be an interesting one to follow.

I do wonder whether the likes of Ebay and Amazon will finally start to remove listings for all the fully loaded Kodi boxes that they assist in selling.
my fear is that anything Kodi will be removed, not just fully loaded crap, as the press is good at not being clear about what the issue of these "Kodi boxes" really is.
They did a follow up article which wasn't too bad and seemed better research where they compared Kodi to being a web browser that only provides the framework for these addons which can then be used to search for legitimate content as well as illegal content, see http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/what-kodi-y...ow-8893133
(2016-09-26, 11:17)da-anda Wrote: my fear is that anything Kodi will be removed, not just fully loaded crap, as the press is good at not being clear about what the issue of these "Kodi boxes" really is.
Better balanced article by the BBC -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37474595
Learning Linux the hard way !!
This is positive, dont expect kodi boxes to ever disappear. but hopefully it will not be widely public and open sale of fully loaded boxes.
(2016-09-27, 06:56)black_eagle Wrote: Better balanced article by the BBC -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37474595

I'd say that article is anything but balanced.

Quote:Some set-top boxes can be modified to run Kodi

Wow that sounds sinister. How about:

KODI is an application that can be installed on a variety of Operating Systems.

Quote:The developers behind Kodi have said they do not support "piracy add-ons" and have criticised those who advertise "fully-loaded" set-top boxes for sale.

Kinda slightly more enthusiastic than that BBC, the very first thing you see when you open the forums is an article about KODI trademark and take down notices. They're actually fighting it and not turning a blind eye.

This kind of reporting brings the wrong media attention, I hope some of the team behind KODI have been drafted in to testify against Brian Thompson, or at least be at the court to give statements to the press.
It's not that bad an article - maybe not as forceful as we'd like, but the sense is true.

Quote:However, the software can be modified with third-party add-ons that provide access to pirated copies of films and TV series, or provide free access to subscription television channels.

Some traders sell Kodi boxes preloaded with such third-party add-ons that can access pirated content. It is the sale of these "fully-loaded" boxes that is the subject of a legal case.

and

Quote:The developers behind Kodi have said they do not support "piracy add-ons" and have criticised those who advertise "fully-loaded" set-top boxes for sale.

The group said it would maintain a "neutral stance on what users do with their own software", but would battle those using the Kodi trademark to sell a "fully-loaded Kodi box".

Discussions about "pirated content" and add-ons that provide access are removed from its message board.

... I think are clear enough statements. It's certainly far more fair and balanced than most of the media coverage we see, and does make the distinction between Kodi, the boxes, and the addons.
Looking at the mirror article and the photos, it doesn't look as if he was being very discrete about his activities.

I wonder how he will fund his defence?

I also expect there to be an increase in sales now that its been on the bbc site.
Does the foundation has a media person? one based in the UK?
I have a few links to journalists / news agency who would be able to draft something well worded for us and then spread it out far and wide.

Feel free to PM me if interested, it would be great to have someone with a Kodi t-shirt speaking to the cameras that will no doubt be outside the court room
Tempting to go up there and watch, but I think the first hearing is just to set a date.

These things are usually settled out of court, or the defendant pleads guilty at the last minute. Lets wait and see how it goes.

I agree that this is probably a good thing to happen, as long as the PR is balanced to show we have a "zero tolerance" to piracy Add-ons.
(2016-09-27, 16:11)zag Wrote: Tempting to go up there and watch, but I think the first hearing is just to set a date.

These things are usually settled out of court, or the defendant pleads guilty at the last minute. Lets wait and see how it goes.

I agree that this is probably a good thing to happen, as long as the PR is balanced to show we have a "zero tolerance" to piracy Add-ons.

I would not suggest the Kodi Team rely on wishful thinking here as your trademark is at stake.
Not sure how the law works in the UK but if it were in the US it would be prudent for the Dev Team to start a Friend Of the Court filing to get it on the record that the Kodi team does not support these add-ons and make it clear Kodi Itself is not what is allowing these illegal accesses to those sites.

Explain that it is quasi operating system for HTPCs similar to Windows in that you can install other software to run within it.

If you leave it up to the uneducated press they will drag the good Kodi name right into the Mud and make Kodi synonymous with PIRATE BOX!
Intervenor is someone who has applied to the court to be heard on a matter. I believe this can be done by a lay person local to that court.

An application In law, intervention is a procedure to allow a nonparty, called intervenor (also spelled intervener) to join ongoing litigation, either as a matter of right or at the discretion of the court, without the permission of the original litigants. The basic rationale for intervention is that a judgment in a particular case may affect the rights of nonparties, who ideally should have the right to be heard.

In both intervention of right and permissive intervention, the applicant must make a timely application to be heard. The applicant cannot sit on its rights; it must intervene as soon as it has reason to know that its interest may be adversely affected by the outcome of the pending litigation. The applicant must serve its motion to intervene on the parties to the case and explain its reasons for intervening in the motion papers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervention_(law)

Gazette Live

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teessi...r-11943918
(2016-09-27, 22:00)PatK Wrote: Intervenor is someone who has applied to the court to be heard on a matter. I believe this can be done by a lay person local to that court.
Not in the uk.
I personally have had Intervenor status in a Canadian court. UK may be at variance, but most of Canadian law has it's roots in the UK and that system. Might be worth a shot to approach the counsel.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trader makes legal history as first person in UK prosecuted over selling TV boxes2