Exporting library
In 16.1, Can video library be exported to an external usb hard disk containing the media, as multiple files when using a device running Android Lollipop 5.1.1. Mine errors with, unable to write to folder, when I try. Is there a solution?
Since this question has not received a reply, maybe I wasn't clear enough in how I asked it...
I'm running Kodi 16.1 on an Android 5.1.1 device. I follow this wiki guide to backup video library to a seagate external USB hard disk. http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Backup_the_video_library
When Kodi gets to the point where it attempts to write the Video library NFO files to the external USB drive a popup appears saying "unable to write to folder". I have full read/write control of the USB hard disk using Android file managers from outside Kodi so I don't understand why I can only read the USB hard disk from the Kodi File Manager or when it attempts to write the backup NFO files of the video library to the drive.

Can someone suggest a way for me to get the video library backed up so I don't lose it if something goes wrong or I want to move the USB HDD to another device and then import the video library to it?

The procedure in the wiki is pretty simple, here is a pertinent excerpt...
Backing up
In Kodi go to Settings -> Videos -> Library and select Export library. Various pop-up windows will show up:
Say "multiple files" when asked how you would like to export.
Say "Yes" when asked about exporting thumbnails and fanart.
Say "Yes" when asked about actor thumbnails. [1]
Say "Yes" when asked if you want to overwrite old files.
Kodi will now export the library, which may take a while depending on your library size and speed of your HTPC and/or network.
It won't work correctly on Android. Google made it so that apps no longer can write anywhere on external drives, even when they can read anywhere. They can only write to an app-specific folder that gets created in the "Android" folder on the drive.

It sucks.
Thanks for the reply Ned. I was under the impression the Android change was to force apps to ask for explicit permission to write to external media. I found this article that talks about it, it's about an Amazon Fire tv but as near as I know it's still android 5. http://www.aftvnews.com/some-apps-like-k...fire-os-5/
I can read and write to the USB drive using ES file explorer and it doesn't create an app specific "Android" folder on the drive, I just have full control of the disk and all the files and folders on it.
So is the problem because Kodi Jarvis hasn't been updated to ask for the proper permissions on Android 5? Do you know if the external drive file permissions issue has been resolved in Kodi Krypton? Or am I stuck with one of those "that's just the way it is" things"?
Sorry for asking so many questions but I don't want to lose the work put in to setting up the video library the way I want it,
It's possible but not in android AFAIK.

Install Jarvis on a windows* pc - portable install if you're already using kodi on the machine.
Copy myvideosxx.db, texturesxx.db and thumbnails folder from android userdata to windows userdata.
Make an advancedsettings.xml with path substitutions for each android source in the library (to point it at the same folder when you plug the usb drive into windows).
Check the library shows up properly in windows (ie the same as android).
Export to separate files.

Ballache? Absolutely.
There might be an easier way, but if so I don't know what it is.

*Doesn't have to be windows, just an os that doesn't have stupid restrictions.
Thanks Trogggy, that sounds a workable solution, I'll see if I can figure out how to do it. Seemed so simple when I read the wiki...lol. So much for the KISS principle. ;-)
It's actually straightforward enough, but there are a few steps that might leave you scratching your head for a few minutes if you're doing them for the first time. FWIW I do that in reverse when I'm sticking a library on android - I've done it so often, and everything here's set up for it, that it's way quicker (for me) than scanning.
Any Qs shout, but it'll be tomorrow unless you're quick.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Exporting library0