New user - advice required!
Thanks for all the tips

Sorry, I should have stated that the bulk of the files I have are stored on my QNAP NAS, with the bulk of music files available in MP3 format to prevent Apples DRM stopping me playing them anywhere other than iTunes. I have a VERY large CD collection and it's far more convenient having electronic access than manually hunting for albums!

Looking at this a bit more I am wondering if building something may be a better option, as then I have full control of what is installed. I have a number of components at home, although I know the motherboard is full size which isn't ideal for a small form HTPC.

With storage covered, I should have a CPU, RAM and maybe power covered so just need a small motherboard, case and small SSD for the OS and should be good to go. Is it a simple install process to get OpenELEC/Kodi up and running?
Its even simpler then - TvHeadend on the QNAP NAS & attach a PS3 PlayTV Tuner and stream everything to any Intel or AMLogic box and your done.

LibreELEC / Kodi TvHeadend Addon client (running on the Kodi box) is pretty much then Plug and Play Smile
Believe me 4K and HDMI 2.0 on Intel is going to cost a comparative fortune if you want to do it correctly.

(2016-09-28, 09:50)Phartpants Wrote: Sorry, I should have stated that the bulk of the files I have are stored on my QNAP NAS, with the bulk of music files available in MP3 format to prevent Apples DRM stopping me playing them anywhere other than iTunes. I have a VERY large CD collection and it's far more convenient having electronic access than manually hunting for albums!

What DRM? Apple stopped applying DRM to iTunes purchases (apart possibly from in Japan) a LONG time ago, and any content you rip from CD within iTunes doesn't have DRM added... Not sure what you are talking about.

Apple have even Open Sourced their Apple Lossless codec - so that's a non-issue these days.

Personally I rip my CDs in FLAC (I use EAC on a Windows PC) and then convert to ALAC or AAC for playback on iOS/macOS devices. I have my iTunes library on a networked server which both iOS and non-iOS devices can access.
noggin Wrote:What DRM? Apple stopped applying DRM to iTunes purchases (apart possibly from in Japan) a LONG time ago, and any content you rip from CD within iTunes doesn't have DRM added... Not sure what you are talking about.
He (or anyone else) could still have those old iTunes DRM'd songs. And correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure movies and TV shows purchased in iTunes Store are still DRM'd.

I do remember they gave the option of paying a fee to remove the DRM from purchased music though.

Phartpants Wrote:Looking at this a bit more I am wondering if building something may be a better option, as then I have full control of what is installed. I have a number of components at home, although I know the motherboard is full size which isn't ideal for a small form HTPC.

With storage covered, I should have a CPU, RAM and maybe power covered so just need a small motherboard, case and small SSD for the OS and should be good to go. Is it a simple install process to get OpenELEC/Kodi up and running?
I suppose if you do this, and have Windows 10, you could probably leverage Foxtel Play. Combine with Netflix, Spotify, iTunes, and Kodi Apps. You would need to add a nice remote to that, but it would allow you to have everything in the one box. Assuming Foxtel Play is good enough for you.

wrxtasy Wrote:PM me if you feel like being generous and I will test as well
LOL i told a little fib and I actually haven't activated my AFL Live code yet, so I don't actually have a username/password yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New user - advice required!0