Help with Putting my build from windows onto my android box ?
I give you the example of the userdata (wiki) folder, where all the user settings for Kodi are stored.

On Windows it's at C:\Users\<currentloggedinusername>\AppData\Roaming\kodi\userdata .
On Android it's at Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/

Your file location doesn't look right, as that's the actual install directory for Kodi, which is read-only (all folders in program files (x86) should be read-only without admin privs, and Kodi shouldn't be run with those).

My suggestion would be to make a folder in your userdata folder (on Windows type %APPDATA% in Windows (File) explorer and then select the kodi and then userdata sub-folders) and put your images there. Similarly on the Android boxes, do the same in the userdata folder there. Note that the .kodi folder is by default a hidden folder (it's what the . means in the folder name) so you may need to enable viewing hidden files/folders to see it). Then on the device you can just set up the backgrounds by pointing to the appropriate files in their relevant places.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
You're making sense, it's just that the process isn't that straightforward.
First Q. Are you saying you've saved your own personal background images in the kodi/addons/skin.confluence/Backgrounds folder?

If so that's the first thing you need to change, 'cos that folder will be overwritten whenever the confluence skin updates.
Edit: actually no, read Darren's post and realised - doh - that folder will be overwritten when you update kodi.
If you have your own backgrounds just make a Backgrounds folder and stick it in your userdata (wiki) folder. That way it won't be overwritten (except by you).
(2016-09-27, 17:02)DarrenHill Wrote: I give you the example of the userdata (wiki) folder, where all the user settings for Kodi are stored.

On Windows it's at C:\Users\<currentloggedinusername>\AppData\Roaming\kodi\userdata .
On Android it's at Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/

Your file location doesn't look right, as that's the actual install directory for Kodi, which is read-only (all folders in program files (x86) should be read-only without admin privs, and Kodi shouldn't be run with those).

My suggestion would be to make a folder in your userdata folder (on Windows type %APPDATA% in Windows (File) explorer and then select the kodi and then userdata sub-folders) and put your images there. Similarly on the Android boxes, do the same in the userdata folder there. Note that the .kodi folder is by default a hidden folder (it's what the . means in the folder name) so you may need to enable viewing hidden files/folders to see it). Then on the device you can just set up the backgrounds by pointing to the appropriate files in their relevant places.

FANTASTIC I ACTUALLY FEEL LIKE I MIGHT BE GETTING SOMEWHERE NOW ..... deep apoligies if I'm frustrating or if people are giving me the same answers over and over again I'm just not good with this sort of stuff.

Ok so I have used the File explorer and typed in the %APPDATA%, clicked on Kodi. Clicked on userdata. Can I drag and drop my back ground Images from one folder straight Into this folder ?

will this also help with the Disappearing addon Icons ?

Thanks VERY MUCH for all your help
(2016-09-27, 17:11)trogggy Wrote: You're making sense, it's just that the process isn't that straightforward.
First Q. Are you saying you've saved your own personal background images in the kodi/addons/skin.confluence/Backgrounds folder?

If so that's the first thing you need to change, 'cos that folder will be overwritten whenever the confluence skin updates.

Yes I don't Know for why or what reason its in there but I vaguely remember following a video and the video telling my to put the backgrounds folding in the kodi folder. I've obviously put it in the wrong kodi folder.
(2016-09-27, 17:13)Skillz1987 Wrote: Ok so I have used the File explorer and typed in the %APPDATA%, clicked on Kodi. Clicked on userdata. Can I drag and drop my back ground Images from one folder straight Into this folder ?
You can.
I'd do that, make sure the original folder is gone (it's only going to confuse things) and re-set your background images.

How are you setting the paths to the background images... it's been a while since I've done this, just need a rough description - are you browsing to a folder and selecting the image? If so can you give an example of the path (just the bit inside the kodi folder in appdata) of an image you browse to to set the background.
eg kodi > userdata > Backgrounds > background 1
(2016-09-27, 17:32)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-09-27, 17:13)Skillz1987 Wrote: Ok so I have used the File explorer and typed in the %APPDATA%, clicked on Kodi. Clicked on userdata. Can I drag and drop my back ground Images from one folder straight Into this folder ?
You can.
I'd do that, make sure the original folder is gone (it's only going to confuse things) and re-set your background images.

How are you setting the paths to the background images... it's been a while since I've done this, just need a rough description - are you browsing to a folder and selecting the image? If so can you give an example of the path (just the bit inside the kodi folder in appdata) of an image you browse to to set the background.
eg kodi > userdata > Backgrounds > background 1
>
Ok if i have understood you correctly then I access my backgrounds folder on windows via the %APPDATA% > Kodi> userdata

and then the background folder is there ......

So if i was going to select an image that was in my movie backgrounds folder if this is correct would be

%APPDATA% > Kodi > userdata> backgrounds > Movies >( select and image from list)

is this correct ?
(2016-09-27, 18:00)Skillz1987 Wrote: Ok if i have understood you correctly then I access my backgrounds folder on windows via the %APPDATA% > Kodi> userdata

So if i was going to select an image that was in my movie backgrounds folder if this is correct would be

%APPDATA% > Kodi > userdata> backgrounds > Movies >( select and image from list)

is this correct ?
Dunno, you're the one looking at your system. Big Grin
It sounds about right.

Now here's the switcheroo to make it work on another system...
Instead of browsing to a file type the address of the file in directly.
For the example you gave you'd type
Quote:special://masterprofile/backgrounds/Movies/whateveritscalled.jpg

Background reading: Special (wiki)

That special/masterprofile points kodi to the userdata folder, doesn't matter what system it's on it'll always work.
So try one, see if it works.
If it's okay do the rest.
When you're done your backgrounds should work on Android so try a transfer to test that - then look at other stuff.

Edit: you only need to transfer across the backgrounds folder and the settings.xml file from the userdata/addon_data/skin.confluence folder. That's what you're changing here.
(2016-09-27, 18:08)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-09-27, 18:00)Skillz1987 Wrote: Ok if i have understood you correctly then I access my backgrounds folder on windows via the %APPDATA% > Kodi> userdata

is this correct ?
Dunno, you're the one looking at your system. Big Grin
It sounds about right.

Now here's the switcheroo to make it work on another system...
Instead of browsing to a file type the address of the file in directly.
For the example you gave you'd type
Quote:special://masterprofile/backgrounds/Movies/whateveritscalled.jpg

Background reading: Special (wiki)

That special/masterprofile points kodi to the userdata folder, doesn't matter what system it's on it'll always work.
So try one, see if it works.
If it's okay do the rest.
When you're done your backgrounds should work on Android so try a transfer to test that - then look at other stuff.

Right you've lost me hahaha sorry.... is the special > masterprofile etc something that I need to do in kodi it'self or on the windows or on the android box ?
Or do i just have to name the backgrounds folder special://masterprofile etc ?
When you're running kodi (in windows) and you're choosing your backgrounds you're browsing to the background in kodi settings to set its location...yes? Well don't do that! Don't click 'Browse.'
Instead type the address straight into the address box.

Clearer?
(2016-09-27, 18:19)trogggy Wrote: When you're running kodi (in windows) and you're choosing your backgrounds you're browsing to the background in kodi settings to set its location...yes? Well don't do that! Don't click 'Browse.'

Clearer?

The address box in Kodi ?

I thought I might have needed to type what you said in the File Explorer but all that happened is that its saying it can't be opened and look for an app in the store to open it ?...... i think I should have paid more attention in my ICT class 12 years ago ?
Okay, let's go back a step and keep this simple.
1. You've put your 'backgrounds' folder in the userdata folder on windows? Yes / no.

2. You've deleted the old 'backgrounds' folder from program files? Yes/no.

3. What else have you done so far?
When I go into SYSTEM > APPEARENCE > Skin - Settings > Background Art Work > Multi Image.... after I have clicked Multi Image and it's letting me search though the folders Its not giving me an option to type anything in it will only let me navigate thought the folders.

If I backspace it back then the 1st page is the page where it says (C: ) Windows (D: ) Recovery (G: ) System and a HOME FOLDER (which my backgrounds are now in.

HOME FOLDER> userdata > Backgrounds > Movies .... thats the path I use to set the images but theres no way of typing it in so I can't input the special://etc
(2016-09-27, 18:32)trogggy Wrote: Okay, let's go back a step and keep this simple.
1. You've put your 'backgrounds' folder in the userdata folder on windows? Yes / no.

2. You've deleted the old 'backgrounds' folder from program files? Yes/no.

3. What else have you done so far?

ok so yes I have moved my ''backgrounds'' folder from wherever it was into the userdata folder. CHECK

2. I think I have but there is every chance that I haven't done that right either. But I can't find any other backgrounds folder on the PC at all

3. Nothing at all
(2016-09-27, 18:19)trogggy Wrote: When you're running kodi (in windows) and you're choosing your backgrounds you're browsing to the background in kodi settings to set its location...yes? Well don't do that! Don't click 'Browse.'

Clearer?

Not sure that when choosing a background that a skin will show the dialog where you can type in a path. Certainly MQ7 doesn't because I've just checked. Don't want to throw a spanner in the works but just thought I'd better point this out.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Putting my build from windows onto my android box ?0