v16 Save deinterlace method with recording
Question 
Hello,

I am running tvheadend 3.9.2765~g0294882 as backend (OpenELEC 5.0.8 on a separate machine) and Kodi 16 as frontend with tvheadend client on LibreELEC 7.0.2. I have HDHomeRun with 4 tuners. I have Ziggo cable TV in Netherlands, which is all interlaced. So I have to use deinterlacing when I watch Live TV. However, the "Auto" deinterlace method is not adequate for every channel. Some channels are terrible with "Auto" method (choppy, audio ahead of video, etc.) and some are perfect. So for every channel I have to set a different deinterlace method. For example, NPO1 HD channel needs deinterlace method to be "Fast Motion" while BBC1 HD needs "Double rate (inverted)". Typically SD channels are ok with "Auto".

So I set the deinterlace method for each channel and Kodi saves the method so that next time I switch to that channel I don't have to change the method again. However, after I record any channel and playback the recording, the recording does not "save" the selected deinterlace method for the channel that was being recorded. When I playback the recording, I have to remember which deinterlace method is "correct" for that channel and change it manually again.

Is there a way to save the chosen deinterlace method in the recording? Currently the recording stream profile in tvheadend is "pass" = MPEG_TS while live TV streaming for Kodi is using htsp stream profile.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Kodi treats recorded TV differently from live TV. You have to think of recorded TV as if it's a movie file, not TV.
So there is no way to "save" the deinterlace method used during recording of the live TV as some sort of metadata that Kodi can then use when playing back the recording?
I believe that it's rather unlikely that such a feature gets added to Kodi.

However, may I instead suggest you to use 1080i as the output format to your TV? Especially if you're living in a country with many interlaced channels. As it turns out, most TVs have very good deinterlacers. That way you can actually benefit of that and your CPU has considerably less to do.
What you're asking is not possible at the moment because for Kodi there's no explicit relation between a channel's video settings and a recording's. If you have channels that Kodi can't deinterlace properly in "auto" you should record a small sample, open a ticket on trac.kodi.tv and add FernetMenta as CC. He loves these kinds of issues.
Thank you for the suggestions. I don't know if Cubox can output 1080i and I only found one build of Kodi 17/LibreELEC that even allowed interlaced output. I tried it with that and did not have success but then again, I didn't test it long enough.

I will post a ticket on trac.kodi.tv and see what happens. I guess we can consider this thread closed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Save deinterlace method with recording0