ALSA Question
I wanted to pass through high def audio to my AVR with Kodi on my HTPC and followed the instructions to disable Pulse Audio by adding autospawn = no to client.conf. Everything works perfectly while watching videos in Kodi just as I wanted.

However when I exit Kodi and try to watch a YouTube video or other sources I do not hear any audio at all. I'm a bit new to Linux so not sure what might be happening and how to potentially fix it. Did the fix I made for Kodi disable sound in other non-Kodi applications (even when Kodi is shut down)?

I am running Kodi 16.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 and using an NVidia GT 430 video card and HDMI for video and audio.
This "fix" disables pulseaudio, globally. So webbrowser and so on cannot mix properly. If you only use AC3, DTS, EAC3 - then pulseaudio can be configured to do that, also (see our pulseaudio wiki)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you. I do want to use ALSA for Kodi because I want to use HD Audio passthrough. When I exit Kodi, how can I get audio from other applications like YouTube or Firefox, ideally still using ALSA?
"Ideally still using ALSA"?

Create an /etc/asound.conf that has your hdmi output as default device, reboot - done.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-10-01, 22:19)fritsch Wrote: "Ideally still using ALSA"?

Create an /etc/asound.conf that has your hdmi output as default device, reboot - done.

Do you have an example of this file? I'm new with Linux. I couldn't find anything through Google that would give me any clue on what to put in that file. Thanks.
(2016-10-01, 22:29)andydufresne Wrote:
(2016-10-01, 22:19)fritsch Wrote: "Ideally still using ALSA"?

Do you have an example of this file? I'm new with Linux. I couldn't find anything through Google that would give me any clue on what to put in that file. Thanks.

would this be what i should put there?

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}
Most likely no :-)

it depends on the alsa output, check: aplay -l (small "ell") to find out the correct card and it's output
Here is the output of aplay -l. I think device 9 is the active HDMI

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Code:
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,3"
    rate 48000
  }
}

Remember: This won't allow mixing of two streams, e.g. two tabs at once. You should better toy with a script or using the ALSA hack, the pulseaudio wiki presents.
(2016-10-01, 23:28)fritsch Wrote:
Code:
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave {
    rate 48000
  }
}

Remember: This won't allow mixing of two streams, e.g. two tabs at once. You should better toy with a script or using the ALSA hack, the pulseaudio wiki presents.

Thank you, I will try this.

By ALSA hack, do you mean this? Launch Kodi with: pasuspender -- env AE_SINK=ALSA kodi
Yes.
Thank you. Both work. Solved.
Hi, please help me.

I am unable to pass through high def audio (e.g. DTS-HDMA) to my AVR with Kodi on my HTPC using ALSA.

I'm using Kodi 17.4 on Ubuntu 16.04.3.

- I modified /etc/pulse/client.conf (autospawn=no)
- I created /etc/asound.conf
Code:
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave {
    rate 192000
  }
}

but I get an upconverted (192 kHz) PCM signal instead of wanted DTS-HDMA.

What do I do wrong?

Thnaks in advance for your help!
No Debug Log no issue - no chance to help.
Debug log:

https://pastebin.com/nWRe4VA4

(I don't know, what is that device 1)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ALSA Question0