Isn't This Supposed To Be Fun?
Thumbs Down 
Hi All,

When I started developing addons for Kodi, it was fun! I like a technical challenge and having a go at something new. I have worked together with some great people over the years I've been developing addons. I've even enjoyed giving support to users and fixing any bugs or adding features to existing addons that people request, and in some cases even creating new addons to solve a requirement/problem. (Writing the documentation for the addons has been less fun - but who likes writing documentation?)

The key bit is that it has to be fun, and unfortunately, it's not anymore - the writing of addons is still fun, having to deal with the Kodi team is less so! I'm not going to enter into a constant battle creating addon support threads for them to just be trashed without reason, discussion or warning.

Without the threads - there can be no support, and without support, there is not really a workable addon for people (or a way for them to find it).

So, I'm going to step back from Kodi development - the reason - it's not fun anymore.

I'm sure that there will be (as there already has) lots of discussion that between them @ronie and @Martijn have "made is impossible for me to support my addons". However I don't see it as just their fault. Instead I would say that the "Kodi Team" as a whole (that is anyone with "Team-Kodi Member" under their name in the forum) that has been the cause of it no longer being enjoyable.

Why the whole team? Well let me digress ... going back to the 1970's in the UK, the Police force were seen by many as being corrupt, it was "the police force" grouped together, not individuals. Obviously there were only a handful of police officers that were actually corrupt - but the other police offers knew about it, and did nothing to intervene to correct things and voice their opinions.

Yes, this is an extreme case (and we are not talking about the Kodi team being corrupt), but I see the responsibility of the Kodi Team as the same, if one or two people are behaving as they have, then other members should publicly either post in support - or raise concerns about how the other team member is behaving.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted messages of support on the forum, and all the PM's of support recently. I will leave my repo running with all the addons, so it will be there for everyone still - but I guess new users will not be finding it.

If anyone in the Kodi team would like to post the reason for @ronie's recent trashing of all my threads - maybe it's time for some of the quieter Kodi Team members to start explaining @ronie's actions. At least everyone will have some idea then - at the moment no-one knows (there is no longer the mutagen name clash). If the threads were trashed in error - then please restore them.

I would urge everyone involved in the project - make sure you are having fun - otherwise, why are you doing it?

Thanks

Rob
(2016-10-02, 14:53)robwebset Wrote: Hi All,

When I started developing addons for Kodi, it was fun! I like a technical challenge and having a go at something new. I have worked together with some great people over the years I've been developing addons. I've even enjoyed giving support to users and fixing any bugs or adding features to existing addons that people request, and in some cases even creating new addons to solve a requirement/problem. (Writing the documentation for the addons has been less fun - but who likes writing documentation?)

The key bit is that it has to be fun, and unfortunately, it's not anymore - the writing of addons is still fun, having to deal with the Kodi team is less so! I'm not going to enter into a constant battle creating addon support threads for them to just be trashed without reason, discussion or warning.

Without the threads - there can be no support, and without support, there is not really a workable addon for people (or a way for them to find it).

So, I'm going to step back from Kodi development - the reason - it's not fun anymore.

I'm sure that there will be (as there already has) lots of discussion that between them @ronie and @Martijn have "made is impossible for me to support my addons". However I don't see it as just their fault. Instead I would say that the "Kodi Team" as a whole (that is anyone with "Team-Kodi Member" under their name in the forum) that has been the cause of it no longer being enjoyable.

Why the whole team? Well let me digress ... going back to the 1970's in the UK, the Police force were seen by many as being corrupt, it was "the police force" grouped together, not individuals. Obviously there were only a handful of police officers that were actually corrupt - but the other police offers knew about it, and did nothing to intervene to correct things and voice their opinions.

Yes, this is an extreme case (and we are not talking about the Kodi team being corrupt), but I see the responsibility of the Kodi Team as the same, if one or two people are behaving as they have, then other members should publicly either post in support - or raise concerns about how the other team member is behaving.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted messages of support on the forum, and all the PM's of support recently. I will leave my repo running with all the addons, so it will be there for everyone still - but I guess new users will not be finding it.

If anyone in the Kodi team would like to post the reason for @ronie's recent trashing of all my threads - maybe it's time for some of the quieter Kodi Team members to start explaining @ronie's actions. At least everyone will have some idea then - at the moment no-one knows (there is no longer the mutagen name clash). If the threads were trashed in error - then please restore them.

I would urge everyone involved in the project - make sure you are having fun - otherwise, why are you doing it?

Thanks

Rob

I wholeheartedly concur with the above statement.
Already added my comment at
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2428100
I agree but not happy at all.

To everyone who contributed to this decision - are you happy now? I doubt you are doing it for Kodi - it looks like something like proving your position and power no matter what.

Whe one leaves - OK he might be wrong. When a second contributor / dev leaves it might be a coincidence. But I think that after a few more cases like these the party that is to be blamed [the one which is handling it the wrong way] is the one presented in all the disputes that forced many people to quit.
totally agree. as i see this - kodi staff is killing kodi, not the 3rd parties. There are so many Windows PC programs that are on the grey side, that Microsoft wouldn't allow to be used on Windows if they wanted to....but if they stopped those programs/addons working on windows (or android, or whatever), they would start to kill Windows as many users would stop using it and start to use other possibilities to do the same. But hey, it's their project and if they want to kill it, they are welcome to do so. They are already chasing away the developers of addons that make Kodi what it is. I'm not talking about obviously illegal stuff. But even illegal stuff like some movie watching addons have nothing to do with Kodi. They are just sited someone made to work in Kodi. Anyone could make the same thing with Windows (ie. an app for Windows). It is normal not to put those in the official repo (official store), but it's totally abnormal to make anything else complicated for the developers. Kodi is dying and as I see this, it's not because of the addon developers. I don't see Microsoft Windows dying because of the illegal software.
Just a reminder that there are other options. None of my addons (even the legal ones) are hosted in the official repo and I get by just fine.
(2016-10-02, 17:34)tknorris Wrote: Just a reminder that there are other options. None of my addons (even the legal ones) are hosted in the official repo and I get by just fine.

True but then again your addon support threads haven't been trashed either!
(2016-10-02, 17:40)Pasado Wrote:
(2016-10-02, 17:34)tknorris Wrote: Just a reminder that there are other options. None of my addons (even the legal ones) are hosted in the official repo and I get by just fine.

True but then again your addon support threads haven't been trashed either!

That's because my addon support threads are on a forum where they wouldn't be trashed without good cause.
+1 for support

I wouldnt call myself a dev by any stretch of the imagination, but after creating 6 addon's i've stopped due to the hostilities.

This forum is becoming ever more hostile - i have written a few long posts on this and ultimately not posted them, not worth the fight.
Love the software, starting to dislike the community. Sad
(2016-10-03, 12:42)DoubleT Wrote: +1 for support

I wouldnt call myself a dev by any stretch of the imagination, but after creating 6 addon's i've stopped due to the hostilities.

This forum is becoming ever more hostile - i have written a few long posts on this and ultimately not posted them, not worth the fight.
Love the software, starting to dislike the community. Sad

+1
+1

Unfortunately this is not the first time something like this has happened:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/4...oid_dev_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/3...rs_of_the/

And since I'm posting Reddit links, I notice this issue is being discussed there, and some of the comments are enlightening. I find it interesting that there is more discussion of this problem there than in this forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/5...to_be_fun/

I am sad to say that IMHO it's high time the Kodi project was forked. That's the only thing that will save it from the toxic developers and moderators that are flushing the whole project down the toilet.
There was [is] a fork but nobody went with it. I suppose that the code is huge and it makes it possible some devs to keep everybody else as a hostage.
(2016-10-03, 19:23)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: +1

Unfortunately this is not the first time something like this has happened:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/4...oid_dev_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/3...rs_of_the/

And since I'm posting Reddit links, I notice this issue is being discussed there, and some of the comments are enlightening. I find it interesting that there is more discussion of this problem there than in this forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/5...to_be_fun/

I am sad to say that IMHO it's high time the Kodi project was forked. That's the only thing that will save it from the toxic developers and moderators that are flushing the whole project down the toilet.

+1

Wow some eye opening stuff there.
Interesting, the first post you link is posted by an ex team member who is spreading a lot of hate everywhere he can.
He was kicked out of the team for misusing his power, editing other peoples posts and generally liking to fan up any conflict he can see.
He posts it on reddit using the npicture of another team member, and goes on to name several team members by their real names.

Half the information there is not as the Android developer in question would describe it himself.

The second post is the same person pretending to be a fucking angel.

Understand who your source of information is - he happens to be firmly implanted in the current conflict and has not helped it one bit .
Actually it probably deteriorated a lot because of his involvement.

I suspect him to be firmly bipolar and he does seem to show two sides, one where he is a great and calm guy who helps people and literally made our wiki great.
Sadly his other side is not so much fun, choosing a side in any argument he sees and then becoming this raging asshole who works towards increasing the argument rather then calming it down.

However everyone seems to believe only the good side of him, which sort of always turns us into the bad guys. Especially since he was kicked off the team, he seems to have been either helping users or on this pet project of turning as many people as he can against 'team kodi', who you might realise are actually the people writing most of the code and improvements you request.

To put this a little more in perspective, I was one of the people who mediated in the conflict that got him kicked out. I advocated on his behalf with the team as well as spend several hours with him calmly explaining why he really could not stay anymore. Not even two weeks later he goes into a complete rampage.
(2016-10-03, 19:52)Kib Wrote: Interesting, the first post you link is posted by an ex team member who is spreading a lot of hate everywhere he can.
He was kicked out of the team for misusing his power, editing other peoples posts and generally liking to fan up any conflict he can see.
He posts it on reddit using the npicture of another team member, and goes on to name several team members by their real names.

Half the information there is not as the Android developer in question would describe it himself.

The second post is the same person pretending to be a fucking angel.

Understand who your source of information is - he happens to be firmly implanted in the current conflict and has not helped it one bit .
Actually it probably deteriorated a lot because of his involvement.

I suspect him to be firmly bipolar and he does seem to show two sides, one where he is a great and calm guy who helps people and literally made our wiki great.
Sadly his other side is not so much fun, choosing a side in any argument he sees and then becoming this raging asshole who works towards increasing the argument rather then calming it down.
Are you a licensed physician or mental health practitioner? If not then your wild speculations about his mental state add nothing to the discussion. The reason you see his writings as "spreading hate" is is because you are part of the problem. You guys that are behind all this rottenness stick together and reinforce your own beliefs that you are the good guys, but you are not. And you have turned on the few really good guys on your team.

The point is you guys have a serious problem in your core team and instead of trying to get to the root of it and expunge it, you instead resort to personal attacks against your critics. Instead of cutting out the cancer, you are giving it a place to thrive. And like any cancer, eventually it's going to kill your project.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Isn't This Supposed To Be Fun?4