kodi.wiki
I'm pretty sure there is a way to allow ppl to edit protected pages without making them full blown admin and I'm happy to work with anyone to allow that.
But allowing non team members to change everything including other users access rights is not going to happen anymore.
hey, here is a thought how about taking this in a line of meltdowns in private instead Smile i know you all might be pissed at Ned for various reasons but taking it in public isnt really helping anyone.
It's already like that. There is "administrator" and "bureaucrat" flags. Bureaucrat can add or remove access. An admin can only protected pages, protect pages, delete/restore pages (all deletions remain in the DB, just hidden from the public), approve user-level accounts, and ban/unban accounts (admins can't ban other admins because they get automatically whitelisted).

In other words, make sure to check off only "admin" for user rights. Maybe widget editor as well, which is a type of page that contain raw HTML snippets.

"Check user" is no longer useful because Cloudflare hides the IP addresses of users, and to fix it requires updating Mediawiki (or reinventing the fix for MW 1.19). When fixed, it is a useful tool for finding spambots.

I even documented it for you: http://kodi.wiki/view/Help:Notes_for_admins
(2016-10-06, 06:55)swetoast Wrote: hey, here is a thought how about taking this in a line of meltdowns in private instead Smile i know you all might be pissed at Ned for various reasons but taking it in public isnt really helping anyone.

Sure it helps. When the Kodi wiki has reverted to being an outdated mess people will know why.
I know the feeling the old DC++ Wiki turned into shit when i left that project, so i know how you feel Smile
Have some responses been deleted from this thread, I received a handful of messages for this thread that don't appear to be here anymore?

So after post #14 I received:

j1nx:
------------------------------------------
Lol, that bad timing / sarcastic joke from you at this point is so bad, it is actually funny again. At least it made me smile, have to be honest by that.... (visit the thread to read more..)

Pasado:
+1... (visit the thread to read more..)

NEOhidra :
Its not funny - pretty selfish and unfair behavior, applying selectively some rules for Nth time.... (visit the thread to read more..)

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
Rob
(2016-10-06, 07:51)robwebset Wrote: Have some responses been deleted from this thread, I received a handful of messages for this thread that don't appear to be here anymore?

So after post #14 I received:

j1nx:
Lol, that bad timing / sarcastic joke from you at this point is so bad, it is actually funny again. At least it made me smile, have to be honest by that.... (visit the thread to read more..)

Pasado:
+1... (visit the thread to read more..)

NEOhidra :
Its not funny - pretty selfish and unfair behavior, applying selectively some rules for Nth time.... (visit the thread to read more..)

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
Rob

Our friendly mod put them in the garbage Rolleyes
(2016-10-06, 08:16)Pasado Wrote: Our friendly mod put them in the garbage Rolleyes

Wow! In thread censorship - now I'm starting to wonder if everyone should start reading the garbage section just to make sure what they are reading is actually the correct set of discussions.

At least it wasn't the same person trashing other peoples comments that had the initial post they were commenting on.
(2016-10-06, 08:29)robwebset Wrote:
(2016-10-06, 08:16)Pasado Wrote: Our friendly mod put them in the garbage Rolleyes

Wow! In thread censorship - now I'm starting to wonder if everyone should start reading the garbage section just to make sure what they are reading is actually the correct set of discussions.

At least it wasn't the same person trashing other peoples comments that had the initial post they were commenting on.

I couldn't find anything in the forum rules as to why the responses were deleted, So I wonder why they were referred to the Forum Rules if they had doubts on what they did wrong?
(2016-10-06, 08:47)Pasado Wrote: I couldn't find anything in the forum rules as to why the responses were deleted, So I wonder why they were referred to the Forum Rules if they had doubts on what they did wrong?

Allow me to help you.
Quote:2.1 General conduct
1. Be civil.
2. Polite language is required.
3. Respect the coding efforts of Kodi devs and other coders. Calling a program or add-on “worthless” will be automatically deemed as disrespect.
4. Respect the efforts of the forum moderators and those answering questions or writing guides. They are working for free in a fairly thankless job.

4 Disclaimer
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this forum or is being used in a fair-use context for development.

This thread is about asking clarification why rights for Wiki were taken away and how to solve it, not to point out if someone is sarcastic or not, all of previous (including mine) are off-topic.

Edit: I love how everybody are complaining why the three comments (J1nx, Pasado, NEOhidra) were removed, but nobody mentions Fritsch and DarkHelmet comments, you want to complain about censorship then please at least don't do it in such a biased way, refuse censorship for both comments supporting and opposing you.
My post also disappeared. Transparency colleagues, please! If it's about keeping the thread clean of something, say so. We don't look good in outside that way.

Edit: found it, thx. Was not too obvious, though. Please move this post now, too.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'll ask nicely: Please stop derailing this thread with nonconstructive posts.

Quote:Your thread was moved to the Garbage subforum because it's either inapropriate, has the wrong attitude or was simply unnecessary for whatever reason
Posts were moved, not deleted. Censorship is something different then splitting off posts that do not contribute to the topic.
(2016-10-06, 09:10)wsnipex Wrote: Posts were moved, not deleted. Censorship is something different then splitting off posts that do not contribute to the topic.

May I suggest that if posts are "moved" (Well actually moved, then closed and put somewhere no-one is expected to look) there is a single post by the person moving them, maybe saying, relocated X number of posts to <location>.

That way everyone knows where to look if they did actually want the complete thread.

Thanks
Rob
Guys as a long time Kodi user I would like to make a few observations here, which I hope you will all consider for your own benefit and that of the Kodi community.

1. Having read the thread through it seems Ned had a reason for doing what he did but I believe he should not have actually done this and raised the issue internally with the Kodi Team.

2. Whilst you are discussing this in a very open manner I do think this kind of discussion should be taken offline and discussed 'internally' in perhaps a more professional manner.

3. Lastly I think if you are going to maintain a team relationship none of you should EVER be undermining the others by changing others access levels, moving or deleting posts, unless it is done by majority consent of the rest of the team and then it should be communicated to the individual involved in a clear and concise manner explaining why the action has been taken.

Lastly, for the good of the wiki I would implore that you all look to giving Ned another go at this as he is correct that protected pages do require Admin level access.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and please keep up the good work on Kodi.
I ran the Kodi wiki as a favor to the Kodi project and community. It is not something I am interested in doing anymore. Thank you for the endorsement, but that ship has sailed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi.wiki1