[UK] Tip for low cost IR MS MCE remotes
Not sure if this is the right place to put this - but if you're in the UK and looking for a low cost RC6 USB IR receiver solution (and bundled remote) then Maplin's clearance shop has them for £3.99 on eBay. Postage is quite steep, but if you buy more than one it doesn't increase much. I bought two for £11.99 delivered. Not bad value.

They are the standard European Rosewill, fully MS MCE compatible USB dongle with a standard black, rectangular Vista+Win 7 MCE remote (With the round green button rather than the square one) with the European Teletext and Fastext buttons. I've found them a great fit with Kodi, particularly if you use a PVR solution for TV viewing. These are proper MS Home HID type solutions, not a keyboard HID device. Sadly, unlike the original silver MS XP MCE remote, there is no backlight.

Product codes on them are :

USB Receiver : IR605A/Q
IR Remote : RC118 (A49HA)

Both my boxes were still sealed.

I've had great success with them in LibreElec on Raspberry Pis and Chromeboxes (I sometimes use the bundled remote but often use a One4All)

This used to retail at £20 until recently (retail price is now £7.20 - so it looks like they are trying to shift them.
Link ?
(2016-10-03, 14:07)feathers Wrote: Link ?

eBay search probably best. Don't know how long eBay URLs survive?

But a quick search of "Media Centre Remote" in eBay found me this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-Media-...Sw6btXTX55
Cheers, just bought 2 myself Smile
Damn thats ugly!
(2016-10-06, 10:53)zag Wrote: Damn thats ugly!

Yep - the remote is not a design classic, though because it is aimed at a Media Centre audience it has a good number of keys with the right labels on them, so functionally it is quite a good fit, particularly if you use a PVR back-end (having dedicated FF/REW, CH+/-, Vol +/-, REC, STOP, Prev/Next etc. is very useful - and shortcut buttons help too).

However a lot of people just want the USB IR receiver to use with a Logitech Harmony, One4All or similar remote. With OE/LE 'it just works' usually.
These are the ones to get if you want the receiver inside a pc and coupled with a simerec, I threw away the remote - thanks for the heads up I'll get a couple as spares
These are now buy two get one free.
I wouldn't want this remote even if they gave them away.
Man, that's ugly ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[UK] Tip for low cost IR MS MCE remotes0