Best/Cheapest Option for KODI TV Implementation
(2016-10-04, 17:39)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 17:16)tredman Wrote: If the OP does actually want live tv then the channel changes on the minimxiii are glacial with tvheadend (I also have one)
Just checked mine, channel changes take about 3 seconds (dvbviewer) - which I don't think is too different to what I see on other stuff.
Glacial = that or longer?

Around 9s for me (compared to around 1s on RPi2 or 2s on Minimxiii with android with same server). Guess it some tvh / libreelec thing, I think Wetek Play 2 has the same (also S905)
(2016-10-04, 17:46)tredman Wrote: Around 9s for me (compared to around 1s on RPi2 or 2s on Minimxiii with android with same server). Guess it some tvh / libreelec thing, I think Wetek Play 2 has the same (also S905)
Yeah, that doesn't sound usable... 3 seconds I hardly notice now tbh.
(2016-10-04, 16:49)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 16:43)Jönke Wrote: My whote:
Minimx III s905 with Libreelec, amazing box for ~40$
It's great (I have one) if you like tinkering. If you just want kodi to work (easily) not so much.

I don't think I really need live TV to be honest with you. I mean you can pretty much get everything that's fit to watch using KODI and I have a PVR in my main room for my NFL! I like to Tinker too.I couldn't find an exact match for 'Minimx 3 S905' on Amazon but found this, should I order or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks!
(2016-10-04, 17:49)tedappleberry Wrote: I like to Tinker too.I couldn't find an exact match for 'Minimx 3 S905' on Amazon but found this, should I order or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks!
My advice:
First take a look here at install instructions for libreelec. If that doesn't put you off read some experiences here and opinions on boxes to buy here. Then look for an S905 device with 2GB RAM that's spoken of positively in those threads.
That box you link to looks pricey for a 1GB device - I wouldn't buy it myself, but people use similar.

And if the above puts you off buy a pi - the best supported kodi device there is.
(2016-10-04, 17:46)tredman Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 17:39)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 17:16)tredman Wrote: If the OP does actually want live tv then the channel changes on the minimxiii are glacial with tvheadend (I also have one)
Just checked mine, channel changes take about 3 seconds (dvbviewer) - which I don't think is too different to what I see on other stuff.

Around 9s for me (compared to around 1s on RPi2 or 2s on Minimxiii with android with same server). Guess it some tvh / libreelec thing, I think Wetek Play 2 has the same (also S905)
Then something must be wrong on your setup , mine is as fast as my rpi.
2-3 seconds with tvheadend server on pc
(2016-10-04, 19:54)Jönke Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 17:46)tredman Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 17:39)trogggy Wrote: Just checked mine, channel changes take about 3 seconds (dvbviewer) - which I don't think is too different to what I see on other stuff.

Then something must be wrong on your setup , mine is as fast as my rpi.
2-3 seconds with tvheadend server on pc

Nope nothing wrong, vanilla build and tvheadend works perfectly with every other client i have (Chromebox with LE, wetek play in android, minimx in android, nvidia shield, kodi windows 10 store, RPi2 & 3, etc etc). Just checked the log and it shows nowt.

Going offtopic a bit now, Codesnake is lookign into it here: http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...nds#latest from when another user reported it
librelec installation on a s905 device looks very straight forward and no doubt I could accomplish this quite easily. That said my primary application no doubt is KODI and if PI is best supported platform then it would seem the Rasberry PI 3 is my best bet.
Any final words b4 I pull the trigger on PI 3?
Thanks so much for everybody's input. It's been very educational.
I have both and, if I were you, would go for the RPi3. It just gets great support and works really really well.
Forgot to mention, need Netflix Support. Can I get that through KODI?
There is a Sticky thread around here somewhere with all that info called....

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Oct 2016)

(2016-10-04, 16:49)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 16:43)Jönke Wrote: My whote:
Minimx III s905 with Libreelec, amazing box for ~40$
It's great (I have one) if you like tinkering. If you just want kodi to work (easily) not so much.
I will second this. I really like these cheap s905 boxes, but for the reason stated.
(2016-10-04, 20:15)tedappleberry Wrote: Forgot to mention, need Netflix Support. Can I get that through KODI?
That changed everything Smile

Easiest option is then to look for an android box, if you can afford it go for the Sheild. If not the fire tv (you have to sideload kodi though) or wetek hub are the next best options. Afaik these are the only android boxes with HD Netflix (apart from the mii box, which may be out.)

You can do Netflix via kodi on Linux or windows, but it will always be a PITA to maintain.
(2016-10-04, 20:19)wrxtasy Wrote: There is a Sticky thread around here somewhere with all that info called....

Always good to encourage debate wherever it occurs.
(2016-10-04, 20:41)tredman Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 20:19)wrxtasy Wrote: There is a Sticky thread around here somewhere with all that info called....

Only if you can be bothered or have the time to go about repeating known, documented info all the time.... Wink

(2016-10-04, 20:52)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 20:41)tredman Wrote: [quote='wrxtasy' pid='2429979' dateline='1475605182']
There is a Sticky thread around here somewhere with all that info called....

Only if you can be bothered or have the time to go about repeating known, documented info all the time.... Wink
True, true.
BTW, I purchased the Wetek HUB. It looks like a solid device. BTW, I posted here because I was totally overwhelmed with conflicting information I was reading in these forums. The dialogue in this post was very helpful to me, my apologies if it was redundant.
Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best/Cheapest Option for KODI TV Implementation0