Kodi 17 freeze if changing volume in ubuntu while video is playing
Hi,
In ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi 17 beta 2 when video is playing, if I change the volume with the keyboard Kodi freeze and I need to kill it with task manager.
I think its related somehow to the notification popup of ubuntu, when the notification begins to disappear this is when the video freeze.

If I press the win key in the keyboard and the big menu is showing on top, or when i pause the video or using kodi in windowed mode, then I can use the volume without it freezing.

I have an Intel n2810 machine and using analog connections vga + pl.

What can i try to fix it?

thanks
Post your Debug Log, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23280008/
In the first video it didnt freeze, only in the second one i tried, so skip to the end..
Thanks Smile
What happens if you press + or - instead?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have the same problem using Ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 17.1 with an integrated Intel Graphic Thinkpad T520 (https://wiki.blue-it.org/Thinkpad_T520).

@liorwohl
You should answer if you ask a questions in a forum - others try to help and invest their time.

@fritsch
Quote: What happens if you press + or - instead?

Everything works fine then. THX. It seems to be a problem with the volume message in the above right corner of ubuntu. This makes first of all the fullscreen image freeze (after a few seconds) and then, after a few seconds - kodi. This is a problem, because it is not possible to fully kill kodi - the frozen fullscreen video remains. But leaving the hardware volume key buttons untouched and use only + and - for volume change instead is OK.

Hope this helps others.
Cheers Axel
missed that reply somehow.
i will try the + - thing later at home, thanks

i'm having this problem since i wrote the post so i noticed that in some cases the volume change works totally fine, and in other random cases its showing the whole ubuntu menus with the notification bubble and its not crashing when its doing that.
my "solution" most of the time is pausing the video before changing the volume.

now its kodi 17.1
Ok i tested it now, + - keys works fine.
But its not as convinent as using the normal volume buttons on the remote.. is it possible to map the volume keys to the + - only for kodi?
Remove vol up, vol down from ubuntus keyboard config and Kodi will get those exclusively.
Thanks, its working perfect now Nod
UPDATE - the problems are solved in Ubuntu-Gnome-Desktop using Gnome-Shell 3.2 (Ubuntu 16.10)

After Mark Shuttleworth anounced theese days that the Unity Desktop will not be developed any more I decided to switch to Gnome-Shell on Ubuntu. Due to problems under 16.04 I upgraded to 16.10 which supports (almost fully) Gnome 3.2.
17.04 seams a little bit to risky at the moment because its so brand new ... (my personal opinion).

What should I say: "apt install ubuntu-gnome-desktop", reboot, fixed a major problem (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1638842) ...

BUT: no problems at all with freezing upon notifications and volume keys under kodi.

Greets
Axel
I also changed desktop, to ubuntu mate 17.04 - no volume bug there either Smile
Thare is some half screen sync problem on cmplex scenes but i didnt checked anything yet (not very anoying so i can leave it for later)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 freeze if changing volume in ubuntu while video is playing1