Windows 10 can't connect to Samba Share
Hello

I run a predominately Linux/OpenElec based network at home. All my media is stored on a central Linux Server running Samba. Media is shared to the home network using Samba Public shares requiring no passwords. The Kodi databases are stored on a central MySQL server

I have not had any problems with:
  • Kodi on a Linux PC using the Database and playing content on my Samba share
  • Kodi via OpenElec (PC and Raspberry Pi) finding and playing media from the Samba Share
  • Dedicated (blackbox) media players connecting to the Samba share to play media

Recently however, my wife bought a laptop and uses Windows, here is where the problem starts. I installed Kodi and successfully connected to the MySQL Server and as such can see my library. However I cannot connect to the Samba share at all, I've tried:
  • Going through Kodi, Kodi states that the share is not available
  • Trying to connect via Windows Explorer, Windows keeps asking for a username/password even though one is not set. Anything that is entered, including null values, results in failed connection attemps
  • Nothing is showing in any Samba logfiles

The relevant portion of smb.conf is

Code:
[Movies]
   comment = JayBee.Net Movie Store
   path = /media/Movies
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no
   only guest = yes

What am I doing wrong? Why does Microsoft not want to allow me to access my Samba share?

Thanks in advance

Jason
Since you are connecting a Windows PC to Linux shares and not Linux to Windows shares it might be worthwhile asking in the Linux General Support thread?
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
So if Windows Explorer also can't connect it's fundamentally either a Windows issue or one on the Linux server side, and not a Kodi one? And given the other devices (especially the OpenElec ones) can do it, my suspicion would be something in the underlying settings on your Windows machine or with Windows itself.

Do you have access to an older machine (Windows 7 or 8) that you could try to connect to the share and see if it can see/access it, to narrow it down to a Win10 issue?

But you may be better asking this on a more generic Windows 10 or MS forum (maybe Windows Central?).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you all for your responses

I asked here because I am sure the problem is on the Windows side (everything else connects with no issues) and the Windows box is where the Kodi player is

I concur with Darren, I think it is a Windows issue. Unfortunately I don't have any other Windows device in my house, I was a Windows-free zone until my wife bought her new laptop. I've even tried setting the Windows Workgroup name to match my server

I tried here first as I only use Samba to share media files for Kodi and nothing else, perhaps I'll try my luck on a Windows specific site unless anybody else has anything to add

Jason
1. Can you browse the SAMBA server in Win file explorer "network" node?
2. In Win file explorer, can you navigate entering \\SAMBASERVERNAME ?
3. Again in Win file explorer, can you navigate entering \\192.168.aaa.bbb (use whatever is the ip4 addr of the Samba server)?
4. What does command window command: net view \\SAMBASERVERNAME show?
5. Is the logged-on user account and password on windows machine also identical on the SAMBA file share you want to share? (local account or Microsoft account?)
6. Do you have "homegroup" enabled on the windows machine?

scott s.
Thank you Scott

In response to your six questions:

1-3) I can browse to all three, I always get the password prompt appearing. When I "scan" the network it picks up my "\\SAMBASERVERNAME"

4) Screen output:
Code:
System error 5 has occured

Access is denied

5) No they are different accounts. However I have configured Samba to not require an account to access the share (guest)

6) No I have not configured any homegroups[/code]
Still need answer, is the account on the windows 10 machine a microsoft account or local account. If it's a microsoft account try entering your microsoft account password at the prompt.

scott s.
Hello Scott

The account was a local account, not a Microsoft Account.

We tried entering the local account details and that also did not work Sad

Jason
That kind of exhausts my ideas. You can try searching on "system error 5", but I know that there are a gazillion things that can cause that and many "solutions" on how to fix it.

scott s.
https://techjourney.net/cannot-connect-t...indows-10/
That seems like an excellent page for this issue. I know in my win 8 and older systems, advanced sharing options did have the ability to use win XP-style "Simple File Sharing" aka guest account authentication. I see that that option no longer shows up in Win 10. From that article it looks like you need to do a registry hack to get the setting.

scott s.
Or just set a password.
So
The link looked positive but when I tried it at home, still no go, Windows 10 insists I provide a password

The WAF has gotten to the point where she has asked me to delete Windows over the Christmas break and replace it with Linux

Jason

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 can't connect to Samba Share0