v17 no passthrough audio (DD5.1)
Then you fix it if you feel so smart...
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I found out not only live tv even play mkv files also no passthrough.
(2016-11-16, 00:26)lkk2016 Wrote: I found out not only live tv even play mkv files also no passthrough.
No
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
For some strange reason, after updating the nightly a couple days ago, I had no passthrough on files (mkv) played from the server either.
Disabling Passthrough made it work. huh?

Also, scanning TV Shows into the Library went all wonky.
When manually scanning a show into Library it loads details from the previous scan along with the current scan, and puts it all into only 1 folder

And casting from Yatse is now broken also, but Android 7 was just updated yesterday, and Yatse has had recent updates.

I have learned patience is required when dealing with development versions and nightlies.

Support for Kodi and Yatse is pretty awesome, so I will give a couple of days before digging any deeper.

Just noticed this error today in the log "Unable to load libcec.so.4".

I am unable to locate that file, and I see it was updated in the Nov.15th nightly.

Update: All these issues were resolved after deleting /userdata folder and starting over.
Why not a setting "Use PCM over HDMI instead of passthrough for LiveTV"?
All earlier versions, all other things works perfectly with passthrough so why is it impossible with Kodi 17?

Intel Core i5 2320 8GB 500GB HDD - Tvheadend + Kodi, Raspberry Pi 3 - LibreELEC, HDHomeRun HDHR3-4DC, Epson TW3200, Pioneer VSX-1123
(2017-01-09, 23:45)Leatherface Wrote: Why not a setting "Use PCM over HDMI instead of passthrough for LiveTV"?
All earlier versions, all other things works perfectly with passthrough so why is it impossible with Kodi 17?
Discussed many times in the forum.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I just tried Kodi 17 on my FireTV and discovered that there ist no more DD passthrough for Tvheadend.
5.1 Sound was bad and I have regular hangfs every 10 oder 20s.

I then double checked with SPMC 16. Passthrough works fine no hangs. Switching to passthrough off brings back the crappy sound hand the regular hangs.

This means Kodi 17 is 100% unusable for me.
I cannot understand why such a great project is completely destroying the user experience for people with a modern setup (well post year 2000).
There is no more passthrough on livetv in Kodi 17 at all. There are plenty of threads explaining the reason for this.

You can transcode to AC3 if you like, and pass that through.
Yes - Live TV no longer has Dolby Digital passthrough audio.

You have a couple of options as I see it if you listen to TV channels with 5.1 Dolby audio (*):

1. Live with stereo PCM 2.0.
2. If you have HDMI equipment capable of 5.1 PCM (or on-board 5.1 analogue output and a suitable set-up) configure Kodi (and any underlying OS modules) for 5.1 PCM (or analogue) output. You need to ensure any underlying audio configuration in your OS has 5.1 or 7.1 PCM output enabled.
3. If you have only SPDIF/Toslink output - you should be able to enable transcoding to Dolby 5.1. This ISN'T passthrough, as the DD is being decoded and re-encoded to 5.1 - but it will give you a surround signal that can be carried over SPDIF/Toslink (albeit potentially with added compression artefacts). NB you need to (slightly counterintuitively) select 2.0 speaker set-up in Kodi Audio settings for the transcode option to appear under DD/AC3 passthrough.

AIUI this change has been pretty well discussed - and wasn't unexpected. There are good reasons for it I believe.

For those of us in the UK who have 5.1 AAC (not AC3) audio on Freeview HD, it's a moot point anyway, we've never had pass-through and have always had to use 5.1 Dolby transcode or PCM 5.1 output. (Domestic STBs, PVRs and TVs also use one or other of these approaches in the UK)

Also - one thing to note is that Recordings made in TV Headend and played back via the Recordings option will also replay without pass-through (I assume they are sent in the same way as Live TV from the backend)

HOWEVER - if you add your recordings folder in TV Headend as a Videos source (i.e. play back recordings as you other files) you get full passthrough on replay as with any other file (though I guess you lose some of the Recorded TV metadata information, and your backend won't know you've watched the content)

One thing I have noticed is that playing back a file this way with 5.1 Dolby Digital pass-through, and then again with 5.1 PCM decode, there are significant level changes (passthrough sounds 'louder'). This is with a show with a +4 DialNorm. However the same file with transcode to 5.1 Dolby enabled sounds the same as the 5.1 pass-through (i.e. louder than the 5.1 PCM decode) - and retains the +4 Dial Norm setting (OR +4 is a default in Kodi for transcode output?) I wonder if there are Dolby metadata issues at play here - or whether my amp just plays back PCM and Dolby at different levels?
Kodi 16 was great software. Passthrough was a killer-feature.

Kodi 17 broke my (year 2010) setup permanently and is broken software with a great user interface.
Jeez stop whining you guys. It's just sickening
(2017-02-08, 22:51)Goredon Wrote: Kodi 16 was great software. Passthrough was a killer-feature.

Kodi 17 broke my (year 2010) setup permanently and is broken software with a great user interface.

Pass-through is still there for everything but Live TV (you can get it on recordings if you follow my suggestion) You still get it on DVDs, Blu-rays, MKVs etc. played back via Videos, Movies etc. It's on PVR clients that no longer support pass-through, and there are good reasons for this.

Live TV is either decoded losslessly to PCM 5.1 (which is how us UK Freeview HD viewers have to do it anyway as AAC isn't a pass-through format) or transcoded back to Dolby 5.1 - both will still give you 5.1 surround sound. PCM decode should have no quality loss - just no Dolby light on your amp. Transcode will keeps the Dolby light on on your amp - but if you play FLAC multichannel stuff or PCM 5.1 Blu-rays you'll get a quality loss in the transcode and it is really only a good idea if you have to use a SPDIF-quality connection to your TV or Amp. If you have multichannel PCM over HDMI - it's better to use that.

This is free software designed by a committed bunch of people in their free time. Lots of us still find it incredibly useful - and better than anything else around.

if you don't like it - nobody is forcing you to use us. If you think you can improve on it - get coding and submit your pull requests.
PCM misses the dolby meta data. So Kodi 17 broke my setup permanently. Not usable any more for live TV.
(2017-02-09, 21:50)Goredon Wrote: PCM misses the dolby meta data. So Kodi 17 broke my setup permanently. Not usable any more for live TV.
That is your personal and totally biased opinion based on thin air
(2017-02-09, 21:50)Goredon Wrote: PCM misses the dolby meta data. So Kodi 17 broke my setup permanently. Not usable any more for live TV.

What a statement of unknowledgeable bullshit. PCM does not need to carry ac3 metadata because it was already decoded and considered. Maybe even better than your crappy AVR would do. If your ears are at the same level than your brain, it does not matter anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no passthrough audio (DD5.1)0