Apple TV 4 keeps restarting (tvos 9.0.1)
I bought a 64GB Apple TV 4 a couple of weeks ago and jailbroke it. I then noticed that intermittantly, the screen would go white and then take me back to the main menu. I couldn't find any pattern to when or why it would do it, but presumed it was due to the jailbreak. I tried 2 different hdmi wires and 2 different tvs and it kept doing it over and over again. This Apple TV was on tvos 9.0.0.

Today, I took it back to Argos and got a new one, got home and this one is doing the exact same thing straight out of the box. I have not downloaded anything to it yet. All I have done is connect to wifi and go through the initial setup. This Apple TV is on 9.0.1.

The fact that both are doing the exact same thing despite being on a different os, suggests it isn't a firmware issue. The tests with different hdmi wires and tvs suggests that neither of those are the issue either, so I am completely lost.

I just rang Apple Support and they have suggested that I take it back to Argos for yet another return or to bring it into an Apple store so that they can take a look at it, but the nearest store is over an hour away so I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it and the first thing they will try is updating the firmware anyway which will mean no jailbreak.

I have tried searching the internet to see if anyone else has had this problem, but all I can find are people on older devices or older firmwares.

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated? Cheers. Trevor
46 views and no comments? If this is in the wrong section, please advise. I can not really post it in an Apple forum as they will suggest upgrading the firmware.

I have recorded a video of what happens. If anyone wants to see it in order to help me out, just let me know and I'll upload it to youtube or something.
Here is the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf4UZBJIFnc
Well not only the wrong section but this whole forum is about kodi.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Bring it back and demo it to the tech stuff...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2016-10-10, 07:05)Memphiz Wrote: Well not only the wrong section but this whole forum is about kodi.

Hi Memphiz, thank you for the reply. This may not be directly about Kodi, but Kodi is the main aim here. I need to be on this firmware to jailbreak and I need to be jailbroken to have a stable version of Kodi that does not have to be sideloaded every 7 days.

Considering I have had 2 of these in a row that are doing this, I am confused at how little information I can find on it... Any advice at all other than upgrading the firmware?
Honestly why JB ATV4 if you can sideload KODI?
(2016-10-11, 08:20)KingRichard Wrote: Honestly why JB ATV4 if you can sideload KODI?

To my knowledge, sideloading has to be done every 7 days, but if I jailbreak and install via NitoTV it is permanant. You also need a mac as you need to use xcode.

I have seen people on eBay offerring kodi for 1 year at a time instead of 7 days on any firmware. Does anyone know how they are offering that?
(2016-10-10, 07:05)Memphiz Wrote: Bring it back and demo it to the tech stuff...

Sorry for being dumb, but what does this mean?
go to an apple store and demonstrate that issue...
(2016-10-11, 16:48)Memphiz Wrote: go to an apple store and demonstrate that issue...

Oh I see. If I do that, the first thing they will do is update the firmware though...

I just bought a 3rd ATV and this one is doing exactly the same thing. It MUST be a firmware issue, but how am I the only person on the entire internet that is having this problem? I literally can not find a single other post about it...
On a more relevant Kodi topic... If I wanted to upgrade to the newest firmware, is there a permanent or yearly way of getting kodi on the box?

I do not have a mac and having to go to a friends every week to sideload it is not ideal.
Because 99% of atv4 users did update tvos versions before the jailbreak came out. I think there are only a hand full of atv4 users here in the forum with jailbroken atv4 if at all. The fact that it is a bug in tvos 9 just doesn't interest anyone on the apple side for sure.

Impressive that you really bought 3 devices just for verifying that it is a bug in that tvos version. Also impressive that you managed to get 3 devices which are still on tvos 9.x ...
(2016-10-11, 20:34)Memphiz Wrote: Because 99% of atv4 users did update tvos versions before the jailbreak came out. I think there are only a hand full of atv4 users here in the forum with jailbroken atv4 if at all. The fact that it is a bug in tvos 9 just doesn't interest anyone on the apple side for sure.

Impressive that you really bought 3 devices just for verifying that it is a bug in that tvos version. Also impressive that you managed to get 3 devices which are still on tvos 9.x ...

But where are the remaining 1%? Lol surely if they are on the same firmware then they should be having the same problem?

I only bought 1 at a time. Each time I return one, I just bought another with the refund money. Not that you'd want one on tvos 9, but if you did, I recomend going to an Argos in a small town. I bought mine from places in Norfolk and I can only presume they still had the original stock there.

Did you see my last message about installing kodi on the latest firmware?
Star 
Hello Guys,

Do you have an old remote (white one)! It's the new remote who does this!
So try the old one, restart with this and problem solved.
It can come back with the new remote, but this bug can only be solved with upgrading or use the old remote in between.

Greetz, Mike

PS. The delivered versions are all on 9.0.1 and at startup you will be asked to update. Everyone does!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 4 keeps restarting (tvos 9.0.1)0