MCE Remote - broken with latest W10 update?
Hi all,

I don't mean to post a thread on something I know there's already tons of guides about. Thing is, I had my remote configured and working just fine since 2011. I've included as an attachment the RegEdit file I used way back when. Essentially, it entailed creating a desktop shortcut of Kodi (XBMC back then), assigning Ctrl-Shft-W to that shortcut, and the RegEdit file would, amongst others, set up the green button to press Ctrl-Shft-W, which would start the program. A bunch of other buttons also worked fine - but now, since the latest Windows 10 update, things are definitely broken.

(The update in question is the one where the notifications at the bottom left are different in W10, like they show up with the number of unread notifications, and the lower left portion of the screen [taskbar] has been cleaned up a fair bit.)

I tried re-running the RegEdit file, but Windows doesn't let me run it anymore. Am I the only one experiencing issues like this?

Thanks!

EDIT : for some reason, I can't attach files. Or, I can't find the button that lets me do that...anyway, it was from a guide that someone had posted here a long time ago, like before 2011 as I recall, to set up the MCE remotes to work with XBMC. The Date Modified on that RegEdit file states 18th October 2010, if that helps.
This is pretty well documented on the forum here.

I read more people are not able to use the old reg file to do the mapping again. I used a reg file a while ago and after the AU I used this tool: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=164252 (for a different reason than the AU breaking the mapping) to update the keyboard mapping. Now everything is still running fine.
I have found this too... Have tried running all the above options and still it just doesn't seem to control KODI. The IR receiver is showing in the device manager and the light comes on when you press buttons on the remote, but nothing happens :-(
Even with the suggestion that I did?
Based on my own experience, I'd VERY much recommend staying away from the tool found in the post linked above. The thing absolutely crippled my W10 computer. I only made ONE change to the registry (CTRL-SHFT-W when pressing green button, to launch Kodi), just to test the waters - and following restart, my computer was just about totally unresponsive. I tried a BUNCH of things in my bag of tricks - but even System Restore wouldn't launch (Timeout! Never seen that before), etc., etc...finally went back to the previous Windows build by going into the actual Windows settings.

Anyhow, not saying the tool can't be used at all - just that, for me and my own experience, it was positively disastrous. Never had anything like that happen when tinkering. I guess I'll just forget about remotes with the functionality I'd learned to love...
Good that you mention it's your own experience, because I really don't see that sort of behavior. What kind of issues did you run into? Just not starting at all? Really too strange! Perhaps you don't have a RC6 MCE remote but a similar one. That seems not to be working.

Personally I have quite good experience with the tool. But I first used my own key mapping and then only added one thing for the green button. Perhaps I'll just figure out what that latest change was and update the reg file that I have created with it. The reg file that I have is very clean and simple. What I am still looking for is a way to use the green button to go home to the Kodi home screen. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent key for that.
The computer started up fine, but after I input my login credentials, it would take a couple of minutes (!! - vice 2-3 seconds) to propel me to the desktop. From there, everything was glacial - typing was like showing a character every 2-3 seconds. I also could not delete the .exe for the MCE mapping tool - I'd just get the spinning wheel forever, eventually followed by a total Windows Explorer relaunch. I couldn't launch Task Scheduler (timeout error) to try to connect my Virtual Hard Disk where I house my backups (I use the W7 Backup & Restore tool). I also tried simply launching Command Prompt to run the diskpart script myself - it couldn't even be found when typing "cmd" in the start menu search tool. I couldn't even launch System Restore - after a couple of minutes, just got a dialog box saying "Couldn't launch System Restore" or some other such vague message.

Overall, a total disaster. Luckily, Settings still worked and allowed me to revert to an earlier build. When I did, the offending .exe for the tool was still on my desktop, and luckily, I could delete it - and that's the last I'll ever use of it.

The remote in question is a Dell MCE one, but it shows up as the proper kind of device as per the Device Manager screenshot in the tool's thread.
That's really weird and of course very frustrating! Doesn't really sound like something that tool should do. But I understand that if this happens to you you don't care about what caused it, you just want it solved

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE Remote - broken with latest W10 update?0