Powering Up/Shutting Down Kodi Pi3
My only reference as of now is my WD Box and Kodi on my Win PC. However reading through some reviews I'm not clear on what to expect and the proper way to power on and off both Kodi and the Pi3. As with my WD Box I just hit the on/off button on my remote and both software and hardware power on or off. Now as to the Kodi/Pi3 how is this done ?

Powering on... will both Kodi/Pi3 power on with the push of a button ? Or are they separate entities each turned on and off separately ? And if so, how is this accomplished ? And will Kodi automatically load on startup ?

As to powering off I see on Kodi, there is a 'Power Off System' will this safely shut down Kodi and the Pi3 ? I would assume that just 'pulling the plug' could potentially corrupt the sd and OS.

Thanks....
Just leave it on 24/7, it's a low power device.

If you must power off then, yes, 'Power Off System' then disconnect from power source when that's complete.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2016-10-13, 20:20)Pi 4 Wrote: Powering on... will both Kodi/Pi3 power on with the push of a button ? Or are they separate entities each turned on and off separately ? And if so, how is this accomplished ? And will Kodi automatically load on startup ?

The Pi has no on/off switch/button.
As mentioned, the safe way to power off is to use the shutdown menu option. Then, to get it all running again you need to remove the power plug or lead, and connect again.
If using OpenElec, Osmc then Kodi will be started automatically.
HTH
Derek
Or you can try the Remote Pi board for RPi3 which costs 1/2 as much as the RPi itself Huh
Then you can turn your RPi on and off using whatever IR remote you have.
I'm a XBMC novice :)
I'm in the leave it on 24/7 camp. All 4 of mine never get powered off or restarted, only if there is problem really, which hardly ever happens. But if you want to power it off just shut it down and get a push button power lead.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2016-10-14, 08:44)skylarking Wrote: Or you can try the Remote Pi board for RPi3 which costs 1/2 as much as the RPi itself Huh
Then you can turn your RPi on and off using whatever IR remote you have.

I bought one of these, but I got the version with the IR sensor not soldered onto the board to go with a custom case. Considering it's in the living room as my primary device for consuming media, it was WELL worth the money. Nice to see no LED glow at night, but also, when Kodi occasionally freezes(rare but happens) it is nice to be able to reboot without having to get up.

That having been said, outside the living room(or whatever is your primary consumption setup), I would not waste the money.
If the pi only consumes $4/yr in power, it would take 5+ years to recoup the cost.
(2016-10-15, 14:46)ActionA Wrote: If the pi only consumes $4/yr in power, it would take 5+ years to recoup the cost.

Meh... People pay for convenience ALL the time. Anyone who has ever bought microwave popcorn can attest to that. Not everything comes down to dollars and cents.
(2016-10-16, 04:25)Dalton63841 Wrote:
(2016-10-15, 14:46)ActionA Wrote: If the pi only consumes $4/yr in power, it would take 5+ years to recoup the cost.

Meh... People pay for convenience ALL the time. Anyone who has ever bought microwave popcorn can attest to that. Not everything comes down to dollars and cents.

My best solution:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...f#p1526727

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Powering Up/Shutting Down Kodi Pi30