Correct use
Hi

Cananyone tell me how to install Kodi correctly to get the best out of it, without violating the rules on this forum?
Much depends on what you mean by "the best". Kodi is a media player, primarily intended to index, catalogue and show local (inc. NAS) media: films, TV shows, music. It then also has an open add-on capability that allows you to extend the functionality of the application to e.g. stream public radio streams, public video, play games, and much more.

Where the rules come in is simply this: the foundation behind Kodi does not want to be associated with illegal activities. Streaming pirate (paid-for) TV channels, or "movies still in theaters", is clearly unlawful, and, as such, is not to be covered here. If you do it, that's your choice and your risk, just as any other unlawful act would be - but, like those other acts, we don't want it discussed here, and nor will anyone help you to do it. So, there's no discussion of add-ons which have a primary purpose of delivering pirate video streams, for example, and no help will be given to anyone with any of those add-ons installed.

Does that help? And, after that, what are you actually trying to do?
(2016-10-15, 13:39)stevengadams Wrote: Hi

Cananyone tell me how to install Kodi correctly to get the best out of it, without violating the rules on this forum?

Have a read of this First time user (wiki)
(2016-10-15, 13:39)stevengadams Wrote: Hi

I'm afraid going by what you were attempting to do in your previous trashed thread then you have been misinformed regarding what Kodi is about.

Spend a bit of time reading this forum and soon you will see what Kodi is truly about.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
I use Kodi with a MySQL database to share all my music, films and live TV (from satellite and aerial) around my house. In fact, Kodi is the ONLY source of media consumption for my family now. It is far and away the best media frontend I have used and replaces a multitude of other software that I used in the past. Kodi helps me aggregate all my media into one convenient (remote controlled) interface with a consistent interface across all devices that I use.

It would in fact be difficult to replicate the flexibility that I have now with proprietary gear. For instance, I have a server with a twin tuner DVB-S2 card and a DVB-T card. Using this I can easily get satellite TV around my house (complete with recording ability) from this one server. There are not enough LNB outputs on my dish to provide this to 5 different rooms never mind the cost of 5 separate satellite receivers and kit to split the LNB outputs (and the physical bulk). Cabling is reduced to a simple ethernet cable to each room rather than 3 runs of co-ax to each of them.

I can play any CD I want, in any room I want. I can watch a film in one room, stop it and resume it from that point in another room. I have access to all my media wherever I want it, at the press of a button.

OK, so setting it up is initially a bit of a pain - stuff needs to be ripped to HDD. Video files need to be named correctly, music files need to be tagged correctly. But once it's done, the experience of using it is just a joy. Nobody has ever failed to be impressed by what I can do with my system and how flexible it is. And it's easy to use - I have a 6 year old son who can work it from the remote with no issues.

For me, Kodi provides the ultimate media experience in an easy to use, remote controlled interface. It's not about dodging subscription charges to watch some flaky streamed channel that might or might not work, or buffer, or drop at some inconvenient moment, it's about having MY media when I want it, where I want it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I'm with black_eagle.

The kids of course have music on their phones, wouldn't want it on my server anyway.

My only difference is using a squeezebox/lms system for my music. I don't like turning the tv on to access music /radio. Also squeezebox allows precise sync so it is whole house, when I stagger from the bedroom to the kitchen the same news is playing.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Correct use0