• 7(current)
PDF reader, for reading Ebooks
(2012-12-18, 02:54)zuroph Wrote: What you can do from within XBMC is browse the books you have, like a bookstore, with covers and summary of book pulled from calibre. Then, a simple option to click to send via email to your ereader. This way, we could browse our newly downloaded books on tv, then click to send, and boom, book is now on your kindle to read. all manageable from a remote instead of needing a keyboard like with calibre

It doesn't really make much sense on the TV since reading from that screen quickly becomes very tiresome. It does make perfect sense for a tablet, though. If you have a look a Moon+ Reader for Android, what you describe above is already possible. Maybe in the future requests like this one which are geared more towards portable devices can be fulfilled by entering a strategic partnership between App programmers and have their apps link to XBMC via plug-in. I see no harm in XBMC going the way of app marketing, offering some plugins as pro versions and asking for a small contribution.
(2011-03-29, 16:31)pecospete Wrote:
Angelscry Wrote:You understand that those kind of configuration depend of the reader application and of the remote used. When you start an application with Advanced Launcher, the active application is not anymore XBMC, but the started application. So button and key press binding have to be done directly between the reader application and the remote. Advanced Launcher cannot manage this.

That's what I suspected. This is one reason I'd much rather have xbmc handle the file rather than an external app. I suspect people that claim launching an external app is good enough to mainly control xbmc with a keyboard or mouse.

I agree that there should be a mechanism within xbmc that allows a third party app to receive input based on remote mapping . This might also help solve a huge problem with Kylo Browser on XBMC/Linux. Kylo browser looks like it belongs in xbmc and would fill a big gap same as an integrated PDF viewer. Best part is it is designed for up/down left/right enter/back controls

As for the PDFs my XBMC is also a CUPS print server and shares a PDF virtual printer meaning that all PDF printing already goes to XBMC. This is how I did it in Crystalbuntu which would probably work in XBMCBuntu. http://teknogeekz.com/blog/?p=543. A PDF viewer would at least be a good way for a quick visual check of PDFs on my local Crystalbuntu disk
will this pdf reader app a friend introduce to me compatible with xbmc? i have order a bunch of e-books that need to be read through pdf reading program. but i look forward to internal application.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

have a great day
Lily
Just in case anyone is watching this thread hoping for a basic PDF (or eBook) reader - there is basic PDF support in the eBooks Addon:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238835

Rob

P.S. I'm not watching this thread, so will not see anything posted on it, please post to the above thread if you wanted me to see it.
A .pdf reader for KODI on Android TV boxes would be extremely useful in smallish meetings. After sitting through spreadsheets displayed with a projector (greatly darkened room, painfully fuzzy resolution), I wished a large 1080p TV had been used instead: minimal need to dim lights, plus resolution should be marginally better than a 1280x1024 monitor (and even 1024x768 monitors were quite adequate).

Although it may be possible to plug a laptop into a TV screen, having compatible connectors or adapters is a chokepoint, plus all those wires to trip over. Running the show on a small KODI box via a remote or seated with a wireless keyboard/mouse would be an improvement.

.PDFs are easy to author in Microsoft Office; you just save copies of what you want to screen in this file format.
(2016-12-15, 19:35)LADave Wrote: A .pdf reader for KODI on Android TV boxes would be extremely useful in smallish meetings. After sitting through spreadsheets displayed with a projector (greatly darkened room, painfully fuzzy resolution), I wished a large 1080p TV had been used instead: minimal need to dim lights, plus resolution should be marginally better than a 1280x1024 monitor (and even 1024x768 monitors were quite adequate).

Although it may be possible to plug a laptop into a TV screen, having compatible connectors or adapters is a chokepoint, plus all those wires to trip over. Running the show on a small KODI box via a remote or seated with a wireless keyboard/mouse would be an improvement.

.PDFs are easy to author in Microsoft Office; you just save copies of what you want to screen in this file format.

As mentions LADave a PDF viewer is a great option on KODI, currently any document can be converted to PDF.
I'm working on an small project with Kodi using a RaspberryPI and want to see my PDF files on the KODI. I'm trying to support MUPDF but I'm using KODI with OpenELEC without X11 server. I have supported MUPDF API without X11, but now I need to create a new Window in Kodi from source code to use the MUPDF API and render the PDF file.

I want to know if someone has done anything similar to that or if someone has supported mupdf or xpdf?

best regards
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PDF reader, for reading Ebooks1