Win Kodi server
Hi,

I am new to Kodi

At the moment i have a machine running plex server with plex player on my TV, i would like to use kodi but i need some help.

I was looking on the kodi webpage and i don't see any server. how do i install kodi server?
There is no kodi server. Kodi is a client to play and organize different kind of media. You can download kodi for different platforms like windows,android,linux.

Kodi offers a UPNP solution to share your media to other clients.
Ok, so then what can i use for my personal server ?

(2016-10-16, 20:25)_Andy_ Wrote: There is no kodi server. Kodi is a client to play and organize different kind of media. You can download kodi for different platforms like windows,android,linux.

Kodi offers a UPNP solution to share your media to other clients.
Kodi is like a combination of your Plex server software (currently on your PC?) and your Plex player (on your TV).

It catalogs and scrapes your local media AND plays it. It needs to be installed on a device (PC/Mac/Android, etc) that is either connected to your TV via HDMI or streams to it over ethernet/wifi via uPNP.

Your local files can either be on the Kodi device or a NAS or on shared folders on another device.

Unlike Plex server, Kodi will not transcode files on-the-fly.

I probably have a few details wrong, or left something out, but this is my understanding of basic Kodi use.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
That is right, plex server is running on a windows pc, and player on my tv.

i though that i can do something like that with kodi since i hear some pople are saying that kodi transcode better then plex. Plus with plex i can easy share my content with my family outside my network

(2016-10-16, 20:47)whysoserious Wrote: Kodi is like a combination of your Plex server software (currently on your PC?) and your Plex player (on your TV).

It catalogs and scrapes your local media AND plays it. It needs to be installed on a device (PC/Mac/Android, etc) that is either connected to your TV via HDMI or streams to it over ethernet/wifi via uPNP.

Your local files can either be on the Kodi device or a NAS or on shared folders on another device.

Unlike Plex server, Kodi will not transcode files on-the-fly.

I probably have a few details wrong, or left something out, but this is my understanding of basic Kodi use.
Kodi does not transcode.

Don't know how or if Kodi does content sharing outside your network. Plex seems to do that well.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Kodi doesn't need to transcode. It is a player.

For a server all you need is something that serves files via smb or NFS. So a PC running Windows (if you are masochistic enough to use Windows as a server) or Linux, a nas, a raspberry pi with disks attached, etc etc
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If you want a server client system, you can combine kodi as a player, and emby as the server. this has become quiet a popular combination.
you can read more about it here:
https://emby.media/
https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/99-kodi/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi server0