v17 AndroidTV - Closed Captions
Hello - Anyone notice that Closed Captions in Playback of Recorded TV does not work anymore? Worked fine in Kodi 16.1.

Upgraded to Kodi 17b3 for the improved audio support, but lost closed captions in RecordedTV. Can still get Closed Captions in LiveTV.

Tested on nVidia Shield, Amazon FireTV and Samsung GalaxyS2 Tablet.

Could it be that language is displayed as English in LiveTV and Unknown in RecordedTV?

Thanks in Advance!
Update:

I examined the Transport Stream - it has two audio streams (Eng & Spa) as well as two streams for closed captions (Eng, Spa). Kodi shows the subtitle language as 'cc' in Recorded TV - and does not allow it to be changed.
Is this why the captions are not visible?
I don't think you have mentioned your backend software?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Backend is ArgusTV

A little bit of history

Kodi 16.1 works fine with closed captions - the issue was passthrough audio on nVidia Shield. Made the hard choice of moving to SPMC for better android support. Great sound, but issues with closed captions started. Read on the forums that Koying is back with Kodi and that the passthrough sound is fixed in 17 - well pass through works but closed captions do not...
You won't get passthrough on PVR in Krypton.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well, I help on Kodi Android, but still do spmc Wink
Could you make a sample available and describe in details what the issue is?
@nickr - I'm running the nightly - kodi-20161023-48f2dbd-master-arm64-v8a

The images show the Audio settings.

Picture shows Audio output as android, audiotrack

Picture shows Audio Passthrough

@Koying - Thank you! Had to upload files to box and insert links. I'm hoping they work..

One min TS file of captured TV stream

Screen shot showing closed captions in video editor

Media Info details of the TS file

I have tried every permutation and combination of settings - including changing audio language to English, Closed captions language to English, changing font sizes, fonts, overriding SSA fonts, etc. One observation is that if you keep toggling the passthrough and enable subtitles options in the Audio settings while the video is playing, you might just get lucky and the captions get displayed - chance of success is around 25% - that is for 1 out of 4 videos - this rapid switching / toggling might work.

Funny thing is that it was rock solid in 16.1 - but the nVidia Shield did not do audio passthrough and I would get a lot of static noise.
Have been installing / updating the SATV with the latest KODI 17 Beta every day - it still is in a "Might or might not work" state.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AndroidTV - Closed Captions0