Looking for a good box to hook up to a projector/receiver/home theater setup
I installed Kodi on an amazon fire stick I had laying around a couple days ago and after playing with it for a bit I love the functionality it adds however I also can see how limiting the fire stick's hardware is to Kodi experience/performance. The same movies which work perfectly on Kodi on my phone are a pixelated stuttering mess on my tv so I am looking for something better quality. I would like to stay in the $100 range if possible. I have a 1080p projector in my living room that is hooked up to a Denon X4000 receiver and 5.2 surround sound. What is my best option for my setup? I read through the thread on the new Mi Box but not sure that will pass through surround sound? Also saw some recommendations for the Wetek Hub, is that my best option? I am willing to spend a little more if necessary to get a good box. Not looking for something overly complicated, just want to utilize something that won't stutter and pixelate the whole time and also do better then the 2.0 audio my fire stick is sending to my receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW doesn't have to be android based but looking for something fairly simple to operate

Thanks
Raspberry pi running libreelec is okay, but Odroid C2 has more performance and can run Android pretty well. Neither will support DRM though, so Netflix and Amazon Prime video suffer.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
What are the most contents you are going to watch?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
I will be streaming movies with Kodi, I have directv so not looking for sports or live tv or anything like that, Kodi will be strictly for movies. Projector setup is new, I was using my tv to watch amazon prime and netflix before but realize I won't have that ability now, although I believe the Denon has the ability to watch netflix, not sure about prime though.
best easiest setup for an amazing player in a dedicated home theater imo is the Chromebox. its plenty powerful and fast enough to play anything you throw at it. for playing strictly movies it is amazing and better than any android based box, even the Shield which i also have.
Is this the chromebox that is available on amazon for $150? will it output 5.1 to the denon receiver? But yeah im not looking for anything complicated, just want to steam movies on kodi and make sure my receiver gets the correct sound signal so I can enjoy them in surround sound
Is there anything that I can just load kodi on and be good to go? or do i have to "mod" all these devices to get what i want...dont think i want too much, just nice streaming quality and the ability to output audio in more than just stereo
The Mi Box will have issues with some 5.1 DTS Passthrough Audio. Dolby Digital 5.1 passthrough will work. 60Hz static hard set refresh rate as well. (has to be manually set to others which will be a PITA) Depends if you need Kodi dynamic refresh switching.

The safest bet if on a budget is ditch Android (use the Fire TV Stick for paid Android Streaming Apps only) and just get a well supported AMlogic S905 LibreELEC device. That will give you everything you need and more.

There is now an army of them to choose from, it just depends on much DIY you want to do.

The Hub is pretty much Plug N Play so far as Kodi is concerned. It will have decent Android Firmware with Audio passthrough that works.
And if you don't like the included remote, buy one of those cheap Amazon (non Voice) Bluetooth remotes. If you then don't like Android then flash a micro SDHC card (Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10) with LibreELEC, plug it in, Hold down the power button and you boot into LibreELEC. Its pretty simple.

Yeah I have wasted a few hours at work looking over everything and the more I read the more I feel the HUB will be my best bet as far as plug n play but also being able to give me what I need, thanks
I've got to make you aware of this Post, as there seems no current solution at the moment to an ongoing LibreELEC problem across multiple numbers of 1GB AML S905 LibreELEC devices and LE distributions now. Android Kodi is unaffected:

http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...ment_42927

As already mentioned, if you only need 1080p video playback the ASUS Chromebox is a very good solid dependable, fast LibreELEC Kodi solution. Again use a simple Bluetooth remote with it.

I was just about to post, is there an issue with only 1 GB of ram, I was thinking that is what the main culprit was behind the crappy performance on my fire stick
Okay yeah thats a deal breaker as it seems like its an issue that cant be resolved, quick question, what is the difference between kodi in android versus LibreELEC, what are the advantages/disadvantages? Sorry obviously very new to this whole thing
Once LibreELEC Kodi is installed, usually a device boot up very quickly straight into Kodi. You get better networking and Audio support generally without some of the annoying Android OS limitations. There is always something that constricts users eventually with Android, particularily for very demanding users.
The better supported devices like those mentioned in the START HERE thread work better with Android and Kodi.

LibreELEC is built to do one thing - run Kodi well without many compromises.
Its like an appliance, once initially setup in the sense of Plug in boot up and go.

Of course you need Android if you want to use those wide variety of Android Apps as well as run Kodi on the one device.

Should I just spend the $200 and get the Shield or does that have limitations too?
You need to self read Post #2 of the Sticky START HERE - nVIDIA Shield section and work out if any limitations listed there apply to you.

This is already very good advice:
(2016-10-21, 19:20)knives of ice Wrote: best easiest setup for an amazing player in a dedicated home theatre imo is the Chromebox. its plenty powerful and fast enough to play anything you throw at it. for playing strictly movies it is amazing and better than any android based box, even the Shield which i also have.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a good box to hook up to a projector/receiver/home theater setup0