Android Not too savvy...
Apologies, I didn't know what the forum was about...
Since I received little if any guidance, I asked a question that was a violation of a policy of which I had no idea existed nor where to find...
As a result, my question was moved to a 'spam and violation' folder (I assume to monitor for future violations).

Since I have no idea what this for is about, I'll be leaving.

Sent from my SM-N910V
Had you read the forum rules (wiki) on piracy that you were presented with and accepted when you joined this forum, plus our list of banned add-ons (wiki) that we do not support as a result then things might have been clearer?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
So, what then, is Kodi, other than a way to use websites to watch things you otherwise wouldn't be able to watch?
Is there a licensing agreement with Netflix? With YouTube? HBO?
You can't tell me, that anyone here doesn't have at least one 3rd party addon...
What then, is Kodi other than a consolidation of websites that you can access through a single interface that you can already access via the web?

Sent from my SM-N910V
Kodi is a media player, designed to play your own locally stored media such as DVD rips.

It can be extended with add-ons to access stuff like online streaming, that is true. There are plenty of legal and legitimate sources of those out there, without any need to resort to piracy.

https://kodi.tv/about/
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I'm really trying to understand how this works, apologies if I appear to offend.

"Internet Piracy - Computer Definition. (legal term) Using the Internet to illegally copy and/or distribute software, which is an infringement of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (or DMCA) in the United States."

So, if I'm not downloading, and only streaming, I don't see where I'm "copying and/or distributing".
I am watching, with no intent to sell, download or distribute.
Is that illegal?

Also, what are examples of these legal addons?

Sent from my SM-N910V
Also, isn't ripping DVDs illegal?

Sent from my SM-N910V
(2016-10-22, 02:01)Balfore Wrote: Also, isn't ripping DVDs illegal?

In some countries it is illegal to break the DRM, if there is DRM on the DVD. I actually have a few movies were there is no DRM on the DVD. While a technical violation of the law, it is not "piracy" because the user still paid for their copy. The act of copying wasn't the illegal part, but rather the DRM part. However people process these files really isn't Kodi's business anyways, since it just sees a video file. It has no way to know if the original media had DRM or not.

Even then, it is more than possible to build a massive library of movies and TV shows without even breaking DRM. For example, over the air, satellite, and cable TV recording. I have a paid cable subscription and a cablecard from my cable company, plugged into a network tuner. Kodi can act as a front end to both record shows themselves, as well as build a library out of those files. For every illegal use of Kodi you can find a legal use. Kodi is a tool, just as your TV is a tool. It's one link in the chain. It is neither good, nor bad.

While I'm beating around the bush, I will tell you that I honestly have not a single one of those "add-ons" for pirated/bootleg video streams. Even if I'm in the minority, as far as Kodi users go, it's that kind of use that Kodi was made for. It might be hard to believe, but it's true. Kodi was not made for add-ons. Kodi didn't even have add-ons long long ago when it first started (then called XBMC). It's like finding out a shoe can be used as a hammer, so everyone buys that shoe to use as a hammer. The shoe maker shrugs and keeps making shoes. He doesn't really care what you use it for, but he is just interested in making shoes.

The point of the forum rules is that Kodi isn't just a program, but it's also a project, a group, and a formally registered foundation. Regardless of if people think pirating videos is right or wrong, you must understand that they cannot support such things on their website. It doesn't just look bad, but it could mean that things get shut down, like servers, or people's day jobs.

This isn't a moral stand. I don't think any less of someone who pirates the latest episode of South Park. Most people here don't care how you got your media, but they do ask that you don't talk about the illegal stuff here. Especially the illegal stuff that is likely to cause major issues (DVD ripping is a gray area).
(2016-10-22, 03:12)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-10-22, 02:01)Balfore Wrote: Also, isn't ripping DVDs illegal?

In some countries it is illegal to break the DRM, if there is DRM on the DVD. I actually have a few movies were there is no DRM on the DVD. While a technical violation of the law, it is not "piracy" because the user still paid for their copy. The act of copying wasn't the illegal part, but rather the DRM part. However people process these files really isn't Kodi's business anyways, since it just sees a video file. It has no way to know if the original media had DRM or not.

Even then, it is more than possible to build a massive library of movies and TV shows without even breaking DRM. For example, over the air, satellite, and cable TV recording. I have a paid cable subscription and a cablecard from my cable company, plugged into a network tuner. Kodi can act as a front end to both record shows themselves, as well as build a library out of those files. For every illegal use of Kodi you can find a legal use. Kodi is a tool, just as your TV is a tool. It's one link in the chain. It is neither good, nor bad.

While I'm beating around the bush, I will tell you that I honestly have not a single one of those "add-ons" for pirated/bootleg video streams. Even if I'm in the minority, as far as Kodi users go, it's that kind of use that Kodi was made for. It might be hard to believe, but it's true. Kodi was not made for add-ons. Kodi didn't even have add-ons long long ago when it first started (then called XBMC). It's like finding out a shoe can be used as a hammer, so everyone buys that shoe to use as a hammer. The shoe maker shrugs and keeps making shoes. He doesn't really care what you use it for, but he is just interested in making shoes.

The point of the forum rules is that Kodi isn't just a program, but it's also a project, a group, and a formally registered foundation. Regardless of if people think pirating videos is right or wrong, you must understand that they cannot support such things on their website. It doesn't just look bad, but it could mean that things get shut down, like servers, or people's day jobs.

This isn't a moral stand. I don't think any less of someone who pirates the latest episode of South Park. Most people here don't care how you got your media, but they do ask that you don't talk about the illegal stuff here. Especially the illegal stuff that is likely to cause major issues (DVD ripping is a gray area).
Thank you for being cordial and polite.
I guess I'm out of the loop.

I guess I'll just be happy with whatever I use it for...
Streaming, not ditributing nor copying, just watching, not downloading, nor sharing....
I think I'll be alright... ;-)

Not sure what else I can do with it.

Sent from my SM-N910V
You can use whatever you want with your Kodi installation. That is entirely up to you. All we want is that users do so knowingly and in full understanding of what they are doing and are responsible for.

But equally we reserve the right of what we support or what we allow discussion of here. And we clearly state our position in our rules, so if things break or there are other repercussions from what you do or use them they are entirely down to you.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Not too savvy...0