Req Aspect ratio
Requesting the addition of aspect ratio displayed for video. Example on how and why:
I have a movie with two different formats, 1) 1920x1080 and 2) 1280x544.

What would be useful is to see
1) 16:9 or 1.78:1 or simply 1.78 (DVD / HDTV wide standard)
2) 2.35 (cinema standard).
Without getting real technical, just labeling "Aspect Ratio" will likely suffice I believe. Otherwise we get into some real technical stuff with DAR, SAR, etc.

It would also be useful to have this data listed for the movie spec, IMDB has this, but I do not believe it is there anywhere for TMDB. For this specific movie example, the movie spec states 2.35, so in my collection I am looking to see why I have a duplicate of this movie... having one original and one modified.

I would assume the same would apply to those keeping a full screen and wide screen copy of the same movie. I propose as there has been addition of edition of a movie to help differentiate releases and copies.

EDIT: Wanted to add that this information is displayed within Kodi when viewing a movie in library, and I would assume the same for a tv show.
I'm not sure what we need to change?
We use the AspectRatio of the video file (width divided by heigth), and generate a readable name out of that.
Kodi's implementation is here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...s.cpp#L585 and we use the same.
(16:9 could be skin dependent)

"Scraping" another aspect ratio, which does not match to your physical one, will probably never happen... (for what reason?!)
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice :)
Wanna help translate TMM ?
I have looked again and I cannot see anywhere that an aspect ratio is listed. Where should I be looking in case I am missing it? I am using pre-release if that makes a difference. Running Ubuntu 64 bit. Have not seen an aspect ratio since I started using this, maybe 6 months ago.
(2016-10-24, 09:03)myron Wrote: I'm not sure what we need to change?
We use the AspectRatio of the video file (width divided by heigth), and generate a readable name out of that.
Kodi's implementation is here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...s.cpp#L585 and we use the same.
(16:9 could be skin dependent)

"Scraping" another aspect ratio, which does not match to your physical one, will probably never happen... (for what reason?!)

Kodi shows blurays as 16:9 regardless of the aspect ratio of the movie, so I can see the benefit of scraping the AR from IMDB.
(2016-10-29, 00:12)Edworld Wrote: Kodi shows blurays as 16:9 regardless of the aspect ratio of the movie, so I can see the benefit of scraping the AR from IMDB.

I believe this may be due to the logic that the BluRay is 16:9, the "bars" are included in that. The DVD, originally, was either in 4:3 or 16:9 from what I am recalling. The contents were then formatted / fit to match. So on one hand, if the source is bluray, it is a 16:9 source. I am assuming that the standards have not changed and 16:9 is the bluray widescreen format.

Regardless of that reasoning, no matter what it is, I also see the benefit in the AR from IMDB or other correctly reporting source.
(2016-10-29, 04:24)thwaller Wrote:
(2016-10-29, 00:12)Edworld Wrote: Kodi shows blurays as 16:9 regardless of the aspect ratio of the movie, so I can see the benefit of scraping the AR from IMDB.

I believe this may be due to the logic that the BluRay is 16:9, the "bars" are included in that. The DVD, originally, was either in 4:3 or 16:9 from what I am recalling. The contents were then formatted / fit to match. So on one hand, if the source is bluray, it is a 16:9 source. I am assuming that the standards have not changed and 16:9 is the bluray widescreen format.

Regardless of that reasoning, no matter what it is, I also see the benefit in the AR from IMDB or other correctly reporting source.

Just crossing this bridge now myself. No further info?

Looking at the file will always produce a 16:9 / 1.7777 A/R. Technically correct, but not actually correct. One of the tech specs listed for movies on IMDB is aspect ratio. Can it either scrape from IMDB or could an editable field be added to MANUALLY change the nfo.
As it relates to my original post, I would be happy with 16:9 displayed. If it is encoded as 16:9, I would think it should say that. The encoder can always crop and bring he AR to a more appropriate AR, but then the file would show that. With that, I think it displaying 16:9 is appropriate, but I can also see the desire to have the more real one displayed. My logic is that using the 16:9 is logical for playback purposes, while the other is representative of the movie itself, not the copy/version you actually have.

My intent was to have a listing from the file to show the difference between that of another aspect ratio. In that instance, I am referring to the files in the library and the AR that they are.
Guys, we don't display any AR in gui.
It is solely used for writing into NFO, to give Kodi a kickstart of the values.
IIRC, Kodi uses that until first play, and then uses it's own calculation for that (which is the same as ours, btw)

Another thing we have to mention, is, that some movies (like http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104001/technical and many others) have multiple values there.
So we couldn't reliable scrape this. (and no, we won't inflate the searchresults for every AR, multiplied for every possible edition, multiplied for every xxxx)

You could correct the "real" resolution at file level.
Just edit the mediainformation width & height of your video files to your needs... to match a desired AR.
For v3, we _might_ consider a textbox, to override such a value (TBD)
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice :)
Wanna help translate TMM ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aspect ratio0