Nvidia Shield LibreELEC sdcard boot?
Does anyone know how to get the Nvidia Shield to boot with a LibreELEC sdcard?
I made a LibreELEC Generic sdcard with the USB Creator.
Impossible
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-10-23, 15:54)Martijn Wrote: Impossible

Do you know at what level?
I don't want to start wasting my time in the bootloader code if there is some fundamental hardware incompatibility.
First of all the SHIELD is an ARM device and not x86 which the Generic build is. You simple cannot do it at all unless you start rebuilding an entire linux kernel with that device specific in mind
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-10-23, 16:01)Martijn Wrote: First of all the SHIELD is an ARM device and not x86 which the Generic build is. You simple cannot do it at all unless you start rebuilding an entire linux kernel with that device specific in mind

You are right. The Nvidia target fooled me. I didn't look carefully enough at the x86 part.

I've built enough custom Linux Kernel's in the past. I know there are some build's of Linux for the Nvidia Shield.
Is it just that it hasn't been done yet? I don't want to start if it is going to be impossible for some reason.

I'm having real problems with stuttering USB Audio in Android on the Nvidia Shield in Kodi and SPMC.
LibreELEC has much more reliable for me on the RPI and Amlogic Android boxes so far.
Even if you got Kodi to start using one of the custom Linux kernels there would likely be no hardware acceleration available so you would be restricted to only software based video/audio decode.
(2016-10-24, 14:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Even if you got Kodi to start using one of the custom Linux kernels there would likely be no hardware acceleration available so you would be restricted to only software based video/audio decode.

Thanks for the answer. It's good to know when the odds are stacked against you before starting a new project.

I asked in the LibreELEC forum and no-one is working on a port at the moment.

I've found that a much newer USB DAC plays ok with SPMC at least. I didn't check normal Kodi. It must be quite picky about the hardware it supports. It definitely is with the measly selection of apps it shows you from the Play Store. Wink
If USB's playing up another option might be a HDMI audio splitter. I bought one (a tenner from ebay) to get optical 5.1 from my pi - it works very well, I use it with a HDMI switch to connect various things to my obsolete receiver.
(2016-10-24, 15:14)trogggy Wrote: If USB's playing up another option might be a HDMI audio splitter. I bought one (a tenner from ebay) to get optical 5.1 from my pi - it works very well, I use it with a HDMI switch to connect various things to my obsolete receiver.

Thanks. That sounds handy. I've got a pretty decent DAC from when I was single and had spare cash Wink but it needs spdif.

I expected a little bit more from Nvidia. Even my crappy little amlogic MXQ box has spdif output and cost 1/10th the price of the Shield. Luckily I didn't have to pay for it. Someone bought it for me. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield LibreELEC sdcard boot?0