will streaming piracy prevention have any impact on Kodi?
i just read an article that Cisco is planning to implement something that will prevent illegal streaming. not sure if that will impact downloading torrents only or for streaming on Kodi as well.
I did read that article over on Slash Dot, If what they have planned works, then it could have a positive impact on Kodi with the realization that Kodi is not the problem and new opportunities will present, I doubt there will be many tears shed for those cheap loaded boxes, housekeeping around the forums will definitely be easier. It's also possible that more corporate doors will avail Kodi as a legitimate trusted conduit to market.

But as they say, sometimes even the best laid plans have been known to fail.

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/10/22/...eo-streams
Well the "Crackers" will always find a way, and then the software companies develops new protection/encryption
So its kind of a bad symbioses relationship, meaning what one part does affects the other.

We have come a long way from going into Bios and a..,, hmm no better not type that to end
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
I also think that when The Mentor wrote his little piece, some 30 years ago
It was all about technology should expand our horizons
and not for profit exploiting or harming other people, well now that seems to be exactly what the goal is.

Profit ohh yea see how many people you can infest with your worm, and then hope when you get caught and have served your time, some IT company hires you.

So will we ever see the fall of the "Hacker" thx for that name Angelina Jolie before she made the flick The Hackers from 1995 we called them "Crackers"
Probably not in our lifetime.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Banned add-ons
(2016-10-24, 07:47)kimkl Wrote: So will we ever see the fall of the "Hacker" thx for that name Angelina Jolie before she made the flick The Hackers from 1995 we called them "Crackers"
Probably not in our lifetime.

The completely random aside in this comment reminds me of listening to a Grampa Simpson story on The Simpsons.

I like the Simpson Nate Big Grin
Yes i get distracted a lot and tend to included small side stories i will try to keep that to a minimum thx for the headsup Smile

hmm looking at the clip i do see some nm, am i really that bad, i will try to stay within Topic, and not included my "side notes"
Perhaps i should ask ronie to change my name to Grandpa Simpson Big Grin, i love that guy and his stories.
But point taken and understood
Thank you
Banned add-ons
From what I've read thus far, many individual's fears can be put to rest.

The forensic signature that Cisco SPP is based on is things like login credentials for a payed service.

So if you are trying to watch something streamed from a user that they themselves are streaming from a payed service (HBO, MMA FIGHT, etc), this new tech can shut it down.

But if you're streaming movies, TV shows, etc that are hosted on a private server, this cannot shut it down.
Meh, given how many false positives other automatic systems have (hello, YouTube Content ID system), this will probably just end up hurting the people who aren't pirating, while the pirates figure out a way around it.

Kind of like how DRM only punishes paying customers.
(2016-10-24, 23:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Meh, given how many false positives other automatic systems have (hello, YouTube Content ID system), this will probably just end up hurting the people who aren't pirating, while the pirates figure out a way around it.

Kind of like how DRM only punishes paying customers.

This seems inevitable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
will streaming piracy prevention have any impact on Kodi?0